Cosmos II Ultra Case and Water Cooling

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'm gonna pick up a touch button fan controller (what I should have done from the beginning), don't really wanna tear the case apart if it's going to be that much work haha. Looks like this Scythe fan controller I have will now become a $50 paper weight...or maybe I'll stick it on craigslist.

What about sticking one of these in there?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13215/bus-259/Aquacomputer_Aquaero_5_XT_USB_Fan_Controller_Touch_Screen_Graghic_LCD_Liquid_System_Controller_w_Remote.html

Can handle 8 temperature sensors, a flow rate sensor, and up to 10 fan channels, this is like the god of water cooling fan controllers? :P

Definitely putting this on my wish list.

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you, who want to use water cooling on Cosmos II I have following suggestion.

You can put the radiator inside top, and the fans outside top. Now the problem is, 25 mm thick fans can give you clearance problems. I experienced this with my Rampage IV Extreme. These fans of Scythe ("SLIP STREAM SLIM" 120 x 12mm Fan) are 12 mm thick and would fit inside top w/o any problems. I'm ordering mine on Monday. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up as everyone on different forums is complaining about not being able to use fans inside to pull and outside to push. I hope the solution helps.

Hi all,

I'll cut to the chase, I'm looking at installing a triple rad in the ceiling (http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/radiators-fans-accessories/radiators/ek-coolstram-xt/ek-coolstream-rad-xt-360.html), apparently there is 50mm of clearance so that should just cut it. The radiator will go on the CPU side of the ceiling and the fans on the top (Bezel side), I was looking at using the Noctua fans (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-noctua-nf-f12-pwm-focused-flow-pwm-cooling-fan-quiet) and I was wondering if there is adequate clearance for these fans between the top of the case and the bezel.

And question 2, I am currently, as I expect many of you too are doing, looking at installing two 240mm rads in the bottom of the case. From what I can gather, the whole thing is 200mm across with supports 20mm in from each side. Which means you only really have 160mm of space unless you intend on putting those tiny 12mm fans on the outside of the support. This size constraint means I have opted for slightly narrower rads (47mm)(http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/radiators-fans-accessories/radiators/ek-coolstram-xt/ek-coolstream-rad-xt-240.html) but still expect good performance from them. So a little maths later:

2 x 47 = 94

2 x 33 = 66 (The same fans I quoted for the top of the case) (PS Scan actually quote the depth wrong, they quote 25 when the manufacturer quotes 33)

As you will see this incredibly conveniently comes to the grand total of 160. However I can't decide how best to arrange the combination, so I'll list a few and let you guys, with your far greater knowledge of all this jazz decide which is the best.

Fan1 Rad 1 Fan 2 Rad 2

With the air blowing from left to right

Rad 1 Fan 1 Fan 2 Rad 2

With the air blowing left to right again

Rad 1 Fan 1 Fan 2 Rad 2

With the fans exhausting so that no air goes through two radiators.

Rad 1 Fan 1 Fan 2 Rad 2

With the fans intaking air (PS This seems stupid as they will be blowing into each other, however I would set the 120mm on the front of the case to exhaust.)

My intuition tells me that option 3 is the winner, however the only problem there is the negative pressure this creates, as there will only be 1 intake and 4 exhausts.

Your input is highly appreciated and valued, and sorry about the long post!

~Tom

If you're going to have any pressure differentials, it is easier/efficient fan wise to pull air than push air, just more difficult to control (direct) the flow in an open area like a case.

Soo... I would think that 1 intake and 4 exhausts would net you more cooling through the radiators than 4 intakes and 1 exhaust.

The 1 intake and 4 exhausts are ok because you're controlling the flow through the radiators and the circulation of internal air is a secondary concern.

It would not be the same for Air cooling since dead air spots are where most of your heat would be accumulating instead of the radiators. So to get rid of those, you want to be able to direct air flow to disturb these areas so 3 Intakes and 1 exhaust would give you better overall cooling. If your exhaust fan had the CFM it wouldn't build up much of a differential anyways.

Historically with any cases I've bought, Enough air flows through openings that you're not going to get much of a negative pressure. Then again with this behemoth I wouldn't make a bet on that being the case.

Hi all,

I'll cut to the chase, I'm looking at installing a triple rad in the ceiling (http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/radiators-fans-accessories/radiators/ek-coolstram-xt/ek-coolstream-rad-xt-360.html), apparently there is 50mm of clearance so that should just cut it. The radiator will go on the CPU side of the ceiling and the fans on the top (Bezel side), I was looking at using the Noctua fans (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-noctua-nf-f12-pwm-focused-flow-pwm-cooling-fan-quiet) and I was wondering if there is adequate clearance for these fans between the top of the case and the bezel.

~Tom

You'll have no problem with these Noctua where you want to put them.