USB 3.0 Ports Not Working

New Win 7 build.  ASUS P8 Z77-V Pro Motherboard.  I have never plugged anything into the USB 3.0 ports until today.  What I am trying to plug into a USB 3.0 port is a brand new Lexar USB 3.0 Card Reader.  It will not work in any of the USB 3.0 or 2.0 ports.  Plugging it into a USB 3.0 port on my other half

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about usb 2.0? if they still don't work you may have to reinstall windows. I had a simliar issue not to long ago. but before you do that, update windows all the way.

are you using windows 7?

edit: I guess if other usb devices work than it might be drastic to reinstall windows

USB 2.0 works.  I have plenty of stuff connected to the USB 2.0 ports.  Yes, Win 7.  USB 3.0 shows up in the Device Manager.

How is reinstalling Windows going to affect my programs, and should I disconnect my data drives before?

I thought you said USB 2.0 didn't work either. The reason for reinstall was if windows drivers get courpted sometimes you can't install anything else and it will constantly say failed to install and that requires a reinstall. It is extreme but it can happen.

edit: for you if usb 3.0 doesn't work only, I don't know what the problem is if you already try to reinstall the drivers. maybe the devices doesn't like your computer

Did you try uninstalling the drivers then hunting for new devices so that it "reinstalls" the drivers again??

Is it just the card reader that doesn't work??

Is there another computer you may try the card reader one (even if it's just USB 2.0)?

Did you try uninstalling the drivers then hunting for new devices so that it "reinstalls" the drivers again??

Is there another computer you may try the card reader one (even if it's just USB 2.0)?

He said.he tried in his wife's laptop and it worked fine...

He said.he tried in his wife's laptop and it worked fine...

just seems weird that everything else is working fine

Wingspar

Please post up another pic of your device manager now that you've installed all the drivers.

Also (still in device manager) click on "View" and select "Show Hidden Devices"

Give the list a moment to re-populate.  Do you seen any other devices with warning marks next to them?  If so please post up a pic of that.

Other trouble shooting and potential fixes include;

Make sure you are running the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard.  If not update to latest.

If you are running the latest BIOS revision, clear CMOS and reload default values.

Disconnect all currently connected USB devices (except for keyboard and mouse if applicable) for now.

Update the USB Firmware and Drivers, specifically make sure that you are running the latest versions of the following - if in doubt go ahead and re-install / update anyway;

Intel USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller Driver

ASMedia USB 3.0 Driver

ASMedia USB 3.0 Firmware

Reboot as needed and begin reconnecting USB devices.  You should probably start with the one that is giving you the trouble right now.