Dfi Ad73 & Xp2400+

Hollolooo writes:

.. but wait, here I found a Beta-Bios from 2003/02/11:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/6A6LVD4D1.BIN

"1.Add "Promise RAID control" function (to Disable/Enable onboard RAID) 2.To Support AMD thoroughbred CPU"

......... yeah used that bios.. nowhere in the setup is there anything for disabling the Promise, did it via a jumper.

and i have no idea if i flashed it right.. there is no instructions in this forum and the DFI page doesnt make it PLAIN..

like.. what is this second file the flash wants?

*shrugs*

oh and.... did you read my post aboive yours, and view the image?

Ok, as I said, I don't know the AD73-Raid, I only know the AD73-Pro, where the newest official BIOS added support for the 2400+.

But as the description says, this Beta BIOS should work for you.

Flashing the BIOS works the following way:

1. Creating a bootable floopy, for example with the WinXP formatting tool, klicking on "copy system files"

2. copy the BIOS file (xxx.bin) and the flascher (awdflash.exe) on the floppy.

3. Boot with floppy and enter "awdflash xxx.bin"

(xxx for the name of the Bios-file)

4. follow the instructions on the screen to flash the Bios.

5. After flashing was ok, restart system and load setup defaults.

yeah , i upgraded the bios using the floppy as you said there

it also asks for another file , to save the old bios i think, i just called it 'oldbios.bin'

then followed the instructions to the T regarding powering down , clearing cmos , loading defaults, rebooting setting up bios etc

it posts as 'UNKNOWN CPU TYPE 2000mhz'

does the athlon 2400 boot as 2000mhz?

cpuid image->

http://www.users.on.net/~footleg/wp/amd2400.jpg

would the bios for the ad73-pro be of any use to me?

You're done m8. Spot on. Congrats.

'UNKNOWN CPU TYPE 2000mhz' is just an id string it's not picking up. It's minor and has nothing to do with the cpu being accepted.

If you really want something there you can always go here:

http://cbid.amdclub.ru/ and download Central Brain Identifier

Downloads/Version 7.0.0.7 Final and put in anything you want! (Tweaks Tab)

Are you sure ... you downloaded 6A6LVD4D1.BIN? Just asking. Bios names are pretty cryptic and can be mistaken. It should have had the raid enable/disable in the bios and showed 2400+ if it was the proper one. I wouldn't use any bios but the one stated for that board or recommended by the manufacturer. You'd be asking for trouble.

2400+ isn't 2400mhz m8, it's a PR rating. It's a 15 X 133fsb, 2 ghz chip just as yours shows :P

Time for a tinnie and a barbie.

"apples now, sport" lol.

It's more for photo op (CBI) cause, if I remember right, it doesn't hold info over a boot. Too bad. Maybe you could have it in Start Up folder...naw, nvm, information wouldn't be with it. If you notice the info will cross over into CPU-Z, CPUid, and other programs.

you get one more tinnie for that.

Welcome to the madness. too bad. no cure.

If you haven't already, D/L memtest86+. It makes a bootable floppy (don't bother to look at it in windows, it won't show up) and you can slip it in your A: drive. Hit C, 2, 5, 5, Enter Enter (may have left out a 2, but use test 5) and put the floppy as the 1st boot.

That way you can save your windows from corruption. Most times when you take your CPU farther than it's comfortable with voltage or speed, a simple reboot pulls it out. Going over on your memory volts or mhz, however, can scramble your hard drive and/or make you have to pull your mains and cmos reset and maybe even the battery, (hit Insert) on power up to boot again and 'optimize defaults' in bios.

This saves your computer from ever going into windows (and is faster). When memtest errors you know you have to pull back a little or up your vdimm a little.

Aladdin i got your email..but reading through here I'm not quite sure if you are still having a problem?

your cpu should be recognized by microcode, but the fact it shows 2Ghz says it at least knows the proper settings for a 2400+ =/

let me know if I missing something and you need a hand heh