Linux as an OS

Jklein

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are definitely issues with Linux but they are solvable. Windows; not so much.

The only real annoyance I can think of off the top of my head is getting DRM crap working (Netflix, HBOGo, etc). Once that works? I can't think of much.

There are definitely issues with Linux but they are solvable. Windows; not so much.

The only real annoyance I can think of off the top of my head is getting DRM crap working (Netflix, HBOGo, etc). Once that works? I can't think of much.

I can imagine games are hit and miss...plus are all system drivers just as good/recent? And I guess I was thinking of Mac's more with picky hardware choices but is plug and play really as evolved as Windows on Linux...sure it's more compatible OS to OS (nearly all systems that aren't windows are Linux based followed by UNIX after all)

Well, drivers are almost there, but still my laptop gets less battery life than with Windows.

How are gaming devices now? I remember my racing wheel wouldn't work with Linux as well as the display on my G..something-or-other keyboard's display wouldn't work. There were hacks, if I remember right, but it still wasn't good.

The most recent thing would be my monitor. I had to fight to get it out of 1024x768 for a solid day. It's the only monitor I had the issue with. With an Nvidia video card, even. I could see it with ATI but not with Nvidia. Ended up with a long xorg.conf file that was a pain to build. Ubuntu 13.04, IIRC.

Well, drivers are almost there, but still my laptop gets less battery life than with Windows.

How are gaming devices now? I remember my racing wheel wouldn't work with Linux as well as the display on my G..something-or-other keyboard's display wouldn't work. There were hacks, if I remember right, but it still wasn't good.

The most recent thing would be my monitor. I had to fight to get it out of 1024x768 for a solid day. It's the only monitor I had the issue with. With an Nvidia video card, even. I could see it with ATI but not with Nvidia. Ended up with a long xorg.conf file that was a pain to build. Ubuntu 13.04, IIRC.

See it's issues like this that keep me from running it seriously... I mean I support Linux wholeheartedly and hope it does/keeps doing well but as much as I'd like to put it on my laptop to fool around with, I want my battery life, I want everything to work and I want compatibility with everything I come across.

I know there's always people out there or the internet to solve all the little problems, but what if my problem is that I'm not getting internet lol. Maybe I'll give Linux a summer to get familiar with but I'll probably just go back to Windows.... Wouldn't mind a dual boot though, hmm...

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I usually keep up with fedora through virtual machines I'm a Linux fan for server side stuff but for the average user windows is better hands down don't let Linux people argue otherwise lol

Hmmm, I keep forgetting about VMs... might be my answer for some casual exposure. I was thinking about going from 7 to 8 on my laptop (that way the partition can align to the SSD too), so I was thinking about maybe making a SMALL partition for Linux

vms are definitely the way to go if you still need/want windows. I believe Ubuntu can be installed right inside of windows though? You might like fedora its a variant of red hat so the repository is fairly big and you have access to "yum". That'll save you the trouble of the make, make install blah blah

I can imagine games are hit and miss...plus are all system drivers just as good/recent? And I guess I was thinking of Mac's more with picky hardware choices but is plug and play really as evolved as Windows on Linux...sure it's more compatible OS to OS (nearly all systems that aren't windows are Linux based followed by UNIX after all)

Like I said - if i didn't game I'd be running Linux as my main OS.

SteamOS should help things along on the gaming side but honestly right now if you game you probably don't want any form of Linux.

If I had to setup a new machine for my mom, grandparents, etc tomorrow it'd be Linux. If you don't have admin rights good luck accidentally breaking a Linux install. :lol:

Like I said - if i didn't game I'd be running Linux as my main OS.

SteamOS should help things along on the gaming side but honestly right now if you game you probably don't want any form of Linux.

If I had to setup a new machine for my mom, grandparents, etc tomorrow it'd be Linux. If you don't have admin rights good luck accidentally breaking a Linux install. :lol:

I can get behind that, if all games were compatible with Linux I'd be far more eager to try it. I imagine most of my favorite freeware is cross platform

+1 to Steam. I do hope they help move Linux along. In the last month I've installed Mint and loaded Steam to it. I have just a little over 20 games Linux compatible in Steam and they work no issue...gotta love that.