Hi Guys,

Im new here.

MotherBoard: Asus P5E x38

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo [email protected]

RAM: Mushkin Redline DDR2 2x2G 1000Mhz

Graphic Card: Ati Sapphire 5770 1GB@ 850/1200Mhz

PSU: 450W (old, and low watts)

Ok,

I managed to Get at 3.80Ghz at 1.32V, RAM set at ~1080Mhz and 2.20v with 5-5-5-12 timings.

And the Graphic card at 960/1330Mhz.

My tests were with 3ds Max Design 2011 (As all i want is to render fast, and stable) and im rendering for 12+hours every two days.No problem, fast enough and low Temps (45-55) I tried using Prime95 for my 1st time, the results on "Small FFTs" were good after 2 hours,but when i tried "Blend" ,well, i failed in the 1st minute! The temps went higher than normal, 65-70 was the maximum.

The message.

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4979248047, expected less than 0.4

Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

1) Any advises to run stable and complete this test for 2 hours?

2) And can i go further? As i tried, my PC crashes before loading windows. ( i also increased Voltage to 1.4 but the temps went 5-10c higher)

P.S Sorry for my English, sometimes i do silly mistakes.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to run more tests to determine what is failing.

I would guess that not only do you need a bit more voltage on your CPU (1.4v or so) but you also need to check your RAM for stability at that speed. Memtest is a good test for the memory on its own. Linpack in OCCT or Prime95 are pretty good tests for CPU stability.

With your CPU passing small FFTs but not the blend I would lean more towards your RAM being unstable than anything else.

@Waco

Memtest found a problem in the RAM, you guess right!

So, reducing the timings at 5-5-5-15, or set the RAM speed lower? (if i remember well, it will go down at ~950Mhz)

@paulktreg

Well, i didnt understand what you need, but i got 2 answers,

1) 12.10V is the current Voltage at HWmonitor.It never went higher.

2) 2 Fans / 1 Hard disk / 1 DvD rom.

So, reducing the timings at 5-5-5-15, or set the RAM speed lower? (if i remember well, it will go down at ~950Mhz)

It's unlikely you'll see a difference between slightly over and slightly under 1000 MHz - I'd try to keep it in spec if you can and set it to ~950 MHz and rerun memtest. :cheers:

@Waco

Memtest seems to working fine now at 956Mhz!4% no errors...

When it goes to 30-50% with no errors, i ll try running Prime again.

So, if i succeded in Prime too...

Can i go further with Overclocking? I really like to reach at the very high FSB! Had a record with a E6700 since i get it at 4.20Ghz from 2.66Ghz! (rendering and gaming: Stable)

Aircooling with Zalman 9700.

If you're already hitting 70+ C with Prime95 I don't think I'd try to push it much further. If you fire up OCCT on the Linpack setting you may very well overheat your chip.

Nope, i didnt pass 70 C.

Im just curious, and i like to "play" with overclocking!

The bad thing is that i know my CPU shouldnt go more than 75C(maximum) and compare to the E6700, i feel sad for E7400 that cant pass 1Ghz overclock.

P.S. I heard some people increase some other voltages like FSB (the only one i remember!) and they can get better results and they can also increase their overclocking.

Im not sure what to do with the other voltages, but i learn quick with a tip or two, i guess...

Prime95 is running stable for 5 minutes now, with the temps at 63C (Blend test).

EDITED: Self-test passed,

In the next test, CPU temps raised at 70 C for 2 seconds, and its back to 63C again.

Edited by John_again

You need to run more tests to determine what is failing.

I would guess that not only do you need a bit more voltage on your CPU (1.4v or so) but you also need to check your RAM for stability at that speed. Memtest is a good test for the memory on its own. Linpack in OCCT or Prime95 are pretty good tests for CPU stability.

With your CPU passing small FFTs but not the blend I would lean more towards your RAM being unstable than anything else.

+ 1. I only got that issue with RAM when oc my C2D system.