Posing the question; Do we still need optical drives?

VaporX

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do we still need optical drives

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

I have 300+ CDs and DVDs in my room so I shall be keeping internal optical drives.

Yeah me too, only i have the same problem as AZNguyen^^

Too cheap to replace the one that died on me at the moment to many other things need the cash. But its def coming back i can hardly live without it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could get rid of ODDs completely since they are so slow, but Blu-rays and DVDs are just so easy for watching HD movies that I don't think I'll be getting rid of mine for a long time. Plus I burn Blu-rays for off-site backup and home videos.

Haven't burned a disc for a long time now (my Blu-Ray player has a front USB port, and I have spare drives, so it's pretty easy to listen to music I haven't got a disk for) but I do still use the drives occasionally. Movie digital copies, some installers, and audio CDs I rip. You can call me old fashioned if you want for that, but I prefer CDs to mp3 downloads. With a CD I can safely assume what I'm getting will not have compression artifacts in it, so if what I rip has them, I can always re-rip with different/better settings.

That being said though, I doubt I'll buy another ODD until whatever replaces BD comes out. I have a SATA DVD+/-RW burner and SATA BD-RE burner currently and will just keep one in whatever is my primary rig for whenever I need it. Besides, I doubt disks will stop being made any time soon. They're just too easy to mass produce with permanent content.

Yes. How am I supposed to play StarCraft if I don't have one? I say that sort of joking but the last time I used a cd/dvd was to play StarCraft about 6 months ago. Actually I take that back, someone gave me a cd of pictures a couple of weeks ago, but those could have been put on usb if I really wanted to.

Though I do want to get an external one in case I should ever need it.

This I think is how it's going to be; people just going with externals for the most part. Well, normal people anyway. Some professionals may use the drives more, but I don't know.

I would like to say this though; I would like to see cases with fewer 5.25 bays in it (mine has four) so the hard drive cage or motherboard can be moved up, allowing for the monster long GPUs to be installed. I think it was a Corsair case, but I could easily be wrong, that had two pieces to the hard drive cage, so you could fit the 11+" GPUs in there. Removing the 5.25 bays for that kind of thing is fine with me. Do normal people need more than two of those bays anyway?

No. Most people really only need one. I use two because I have a fan controller and a dvd drive.

I forgot about my fan controller, but that's in a 3.5" bay. Of course, the fans are always on high, except when I need to test something, so I turn them off because not everyone has them. (Most recently when I tested my 570's temps when playing Skyrim.)

No. Most people really only need one. I use two because I have a fan controller and a dvd drive.

I use three, dual bay fan controller and a (before it died, and when i replace it) a CD/DVD Drive.

Edit: and don't people use them to hold their res when water cooling? (not that thats most people)

Edited by SpeedCrazy