Gaming: Then vs Now

Fogel

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would totally say I'm an old school gamer (My user name is 90sgamer after all :teehee: ). I have a XP partition on my secondary computer with 120+ Pre-2003 games. I love new games too, and keep up to date with my main machine, but I love tons of old Win 95/98 games.

Old RPGs and FPS games are my favorite. I've got a 3DFX Glide emulator to run some really old games like Lands of Lore 2 & 3. System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are probably some of my all time favorite games.

I was actually thinking of making a thread to dump all of the fixes I have found for running tons of old games into one place. I've got them all in an excel document right now. I might make a google doc for this purpose. :biggrin:

Edited by 90sgamer

Having your friends over to play is far better then playing online IMO. Those where the days.... :biggrin:

EDIT: Also I am totally confused with the poll options.

I agree 100% - I would much rather play with friends in person than online. I don't know if it is because online is so widely available now and/or if it is just because all my friends and I are getting older but no one really wants to play on the same TV anymore. The good side is I've been able to play with people I consider friends even though I've never met them in real life in addition to people I know personally.

I updated the poll options since the first two comments basically equated to => your poll sux, fix it! So it's been updated to be a little clearer. If it still sucks than I can remove the poll option altogether. Just curious how many old school gamers we have on these forums, so I don't feel so alone. :P

I don't get your poll options at all, so I won't vote, just voice my opinion...keeping it brief.

Fixed :biggrin:

+1

99% of the time IDGAF about multiplayer, just give me a good long game I can enjoy for months at a time.

I love MP and it is pretty much all I am playing right now, but I would totally choose a game that can keep me entertained for months at a time over an epic MP game. My favorite game of all time is SP.

Tomorrow I will be. :P

As for the "now" for me. Anymore my gaming preference deals a lot with story more than anything, that's just the thing I really enjoy in games now. I believe gaming has really become more of an art style in recent years, which is why I think it's really kind of hard to compare gaming now to gaming then. Not quite "apples and oranges" but not far off either I don't think.

Happy Birthday (early)

Good point in favor of newer games. Not only has the graphics improved but so has storytelling and art style. Props on bringing that up!

Now that I think about it, it wasn't a good idea to add a poll in last minute since the poll doesn't really match the subject of my post. :doh: Honestly though, the biggest thing I am bringing up in my post isn't so much New games vs Old games but more so on how the mentality of gamers have changed in general. It's a natural course of evolution and how people adapt to new technology. For example, when I was a kid it was ok to play outside in the frontyard or even ride my bike down to the grocery store to go get soda/candy. Playing out in the street was common place and how you met most of your friends. These days I don't see kids playing. Hell I have a park near where I live and I rarely see kids there ...and when i do they are never without an adult there. Not sure if my analogy makes sense, but my post is more about things in general have changed about gaming than the actual games themselves. Even if a few arcades have managed to survive in the U.S., arcade gaming in general is so rare you never hear people talking about anymore. I think that is why people my age love Dave & Busters so much! Arcade for us big kids. :cheers:

So I've been gaming for a long time, however I still mostly play games from 2000 instead of the 1990s.

Just to clarify my poll options if you decide to vote:

The options aren't set so that you have to love only new games or only old games. I updated the wording so people can choose what they feel reflects their taste. I can always update it again or remove the poll completely.

Not sure you have made the choices clear. I am an old school gamer, for me that means the game and the story are much more important than the technology that goes into it. Also to me a game is a journey and so I savor the moments, I do not rcuh to the end to see how fast I can do it.

Choices are a bit confusing but been playing games since the commodore 64 last console at my house not mine was the latest nintendo bought for my niece and nephew so I played it a bit to teach them how to play it. Story line is key to a SP game, but they don't seem to know how to make one that can keep my attention anymore.

99% of the time IDGAF about multiplayer, just give me a good long game I can enjoy for months at a time.

I agree 100%!!! I may be one of the few within my friends that will actually play through a whole campaign/ story. I think it says a lot about the game, and it is honestly one of the points I think about when i buy a game. (may be the reason I dont like the COD games too much)

I also think multiplayer is much better in person. Its definitely harder when you know everyone playing is checking out the other screens, whether they say so or not!

People didn't brag about what game they were buying next but what they managed to accomplish in a game.

+1

I agree 100%!!! I may be one of the few within my friends that will actually play through a whole campaign/ story. I think it says a lot about the game, and it is honestly one of the points I think about when i buy a game. (may be the reason I dont like the COD games too much)

I also think multiplayer is much better in person. Its definitely harder when you know everyone playing is checking out the other screens, whether they say so or not!

I love games for story and will play a story I like over an over until a point comes where I have virtually memorised the dialogue.

I rarely play multiplayer (Trackmania excluded in which I rarely play single player :lol: ) and when I do play multi player I prefer it to be on xbox or playstaion or something and split-screen on a tv.

Ultima on the Commodore 64! Those were the days....then intellivision and BurgerTime and Pitfall. PITFALL, what a game. I must have played one of you people's entire lifetimes on that game (speaking top the teenagers on here!)

Ultima on the Commodore 64! Those were the days....then intellivision and BurgerTime and Pitfall. PITFALL, what a game. I must have played one of you people's entire lifetimes on that game (speaking top the teenagers on here!)

+1 Ultima was the best. Aliens on the C64 was also good... and Caveman Ugh'lympics.

I have a hard time finding games I really like because i'm a graphics whore as well as needing a great story/plot

So far I think STALKER series with the Dolgov/complete mod is about the best.

****I don't get the poll choices either***

My first game rig

post-73619-0-09550200-1331106252_thumb.jpg