Finlux TVs

EuroFight

Hi everyone :)

I was looking around at TV's the other day (I currently have an old Samsung CRT), and saw a deal for a 42" 1080p 3D TV for

Edited by EuroFight

Hey EF. I don't have any personal experience with them, but in my business we keep up with things going on in the TV world so I do have some incidental background info on them. Even though most folks in NA have never heard of Finlux, they have actually been around a long time in one form or another. The brand has gone through multiple owners as a result of bad timing and bad management, but none of that was related to the reliability, quality or performance of their electronics products. Probably the hardest hit they took was during the transition from CRT to LCD technology (the same mistake our company made) in not recognizing the paradigm shift that was occurring right in front of us.

At any rate, most feedback I've heard and read on the company indicates they are making decent > good TVs for their target market and price point. I personally wouldn't be afraid to give them a shot at that price point.

That sounds like a pretty good write up then...good for a company it would seem very few have ever heard of before, I might give this one a shot actually. I'll probably ask if I can post a review of it on the site anyhow to help other people out. If it's as good as it sounds I'll be surprised though.

Cheers for the info wevsspot :cheers:

Edit: Post showed HTML for some reason

Edited by EuroFight

I'd put them in the category of Vizio, Hisense, Coby, Sanyo and maybe even Phililps/Magnavox here lately. I think for the price it's definitely worth a shot. I"ll love to hear what you think about the TV after you get it.

I'm eager to see how it turns out, I love prize budget TV brands everyone fears but give you a great experience at a much lower price point. My g/f's Coby LED LCD 32" TV is pretty nice, the sound could be better but that's the case with most flat screen TVs (maybe a sound bar for christmas from me ;) )

IVI - We are Coby's only factory reconditioning company in North America :)

For now any way. They have been a customer for three years, but they have chosen a different business model for their consumer returns beginning in 2013 :(

And yes, they make a fine TV for the price & features. Helps that they own their own mfg. facilities in China and don't have to subcontract out that work to anyone.

IVI - We are Coby's only factory reconditioning company in North America :)

For now any way. They have been a customer for three years, but they have chosen a different business model for their consumer returns beginning in 2013 :(

And yes, they make a fine TV for the price & features. Helps that they own their own mfg. facilities in China and don't have to subcontract out that work to anyone.

I'm guessing you can't elaborate on the *implied* downgrade of customer service they're planning on offering next year?? (I'm going to guess outsourcing??)

Yeah I like my girlfriend's TV, it was still almost $100 cheaper than the next TV up which was a CCFL lit Samsung that the sales rep said had much better sound. I'd rather have an LED with better picture than sound, since there's always a solution to sound. But you can't really change the panel lol

TV has been ordered and is on it's way, hoping it's good, I might do a quick writeup about it for anyone interested :thumbsup:

No, must be painstakingly long write up or don't bother :P

I can elaborate to a point. Right now Coby pays us on a per unit basis to repair, recondition or scrap the consumer returns. Coby still technically owns the units at all points in the process. Next year they will wholesale out the returns to a company that buys the returns - site unseen, and then liquidates them as they see fit. You'll likely lose the factory warranty (on refurbished products) and the new company will be pressed to turn a profit - meaning that shortcuts will be taken in both the replacement parts used, as well as the repair process in general.

I can elaborate to a point. Right now Coby pays us on a per unit basis to repair, recondition or scrap the consumer returns. Coby still technically owns the units at all points in the process. Next year they will wholesale out the returns to a company that buys the returns - site unseen, and then liquidates them as they see fit. You'll likely lose the factory warranty (on refurbished products) and the new company will be pressed to turn a profit - meaning that shortcuts will be taken in both the replacement parts used, as well as the repair process in general.

Oh, that doesn't sound good indeed :-/

• 1 month later...

Many years ago I worked as a design tech in Panasonic, we had a store of other manufacturers TV's and my old boss told me that the Finlux was one of the best makes in the world, a bit expensive but good.