Just set fire to $751

IVIYTH0S

What happened:

Display had stopped working so I contacted CyberPower and they told me I was out of warranty (by less than a month...) and pretty much said good luck finding parts for it.

Once I decided to just grow a pair and take the sucker apart with my mad laptop disassembly skills from taking apart a couple now, I was able to find the display's model number and ordered a replacement from a laptop screen super website.

Got the new screen and installed it and still nothing, so I suspected a connection issue... **as with the old screen and new one, I can plug in either HDMI or VGA and get perfect video out with no artifacts whatsoever (nor blue screens).

My dad recommended I tried baking it in case it WAS somehow related to the motherboard/GPU and I agreed since it would cost me little time, "no money" (hundreds of watts of oven use negated), and it'd be alot easier than attempting to track down where to get a monitor to motherboard display/power cable for this Taiwan nightmare.

I take off the fan shroud, copper heat pipes/sinks, and the CPU off and visually inspect the motherboard for anything that I could remove that might catch fire. Meanwhile I had the oven pre heating and three timers all set up for each individual stage of the baking process.

With the oven preheated and finding nothing obvious to remove from the bare board, I threw the sucker into the oven and started the first 9 and a half minute leg.  I went upstairs for 9 minutes with the timer and came down so I'd be ready to start the first stage of cooling. Right and I mean RIGHT as I turned off the oven, disaster struck...

I heard a small pop (nothing really alarming, but I knew I was in for a treat). Through the viewing window of the oven, the dark interior was illuminated by A SMALL FIRE that was burning its way up the board!! The heat film that normally resides under the fan/shroud was on fire, so I tore open the oven door and with 4-5 full lungs of air I was able to blow out the fire.

After waiting 10-15 minutes for the oven to cool down I removed the poor soul to find out just how much of an irresponsible fool I had been and how I truly deserved to lose my laptop for the poor judgment I had made.

I didn't remove the small bios backup button battery since it was glued on which had caused me to overlook it during the brief oven ready check. I'm guessing the "pop, poof" noise was the battery exploding which made that area hot enough to start the film fire. (see the black remains of the battery in the third picture)

Naturally when I hooked power up to the board, nothing happened at all...

Also if anyone would like to buy some of my parts from my now deceased laptop, that I was able to salvage you're more than welcome!

What I have:

lapfire-4.jpg

1)Wireless N w/Bluetooth adapter

2) Super Talent 2x4GB 1333mhz memory (these aren't for sale yet, in case the replacement doesn't come with 8GB already)

3)USB 2.0 Hub for....any laptop using a Pegatron A15HC barebones lol (I think the MSI CX640 does though...)

4)Core i5 2430M 2.4GHZ 2nd gen sandy dual core (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i5-2430M-Notebook-Processor.53435.0.html)

5) Power adapter for an A15HC based machine (I have the other half wire too)

6) Typical SATA laptop DVD drive

7) Presumed to be working 1080P, LED backlit, 40pin connector, 15.6", Glossy  AU Optronics Model #: B156HW02 (http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/B156HW02~V.5/)

I doubt any of this will sell but if anyone is interested in anything, they may PM me with offers or just interest and we can agree on a price!!

So I'm now back in the market for a decent 15" laptop with ~1080P screen and at least two USB 3.0 ports (not from CyberPowerPC because they're now on my shitlist lol) with cheaper being preferred.

Try deleting cookies. I think that's what fixed it for me or might have been something else. All I know edit button now works.

Nope still nothing, and linking doesn't work either. OCC really wants is making me feel welcome again with the changes :P

• Like 1

thats one crispy critter 

To put it lightly...

u dun goofd

and it dun poofd

Ouch man. Moral of this story: Men should not be baking.

Yeah....I still blame Nvidia, since 2/3 bakes I've done were to nvidia stuff lol

In aus companies are legally obliged to still cover things if they fall just out of warranty. Your less than a month out would have meant you would still be covered.

I can send it to you and maybe you could even sue and say it spontaneously combusted :P.

In all seriousness though, I'm VERY displeased with CyberPowerPC for not having part information and almost literally telling me just "good luck in hunting for parts".

When the Samsung drive died on it they mailed me a new one but I guess that's novice level part replacement whereas the screen is far more specific and specialized work. I wonder what they would have done if I was in warranty...I'm guessing they'd just replace the whole laptop since they probably only sell easy to configure barebones laptops and most likely don't have an extremely skilled building staff. (I will say this Pegatron laptop did give access to the CPU/Wifi/RAM/HDD/Optical drive easier than other laptops I've used).

The only good mark I have to give their service is they were clearly stateside and easy to converse with.