El_Capitan's System Builds

El_Capitan

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Capi, your testing is measuring how much wattage is being pulled from the wall socket right? because if so, a more efficient PSU is exactly why its drawing less power. Here is why! I was gonna try and explain it myself, but this webpage does a much better job that i ever good, lol. And... that is insane how efficient that sandy bridge CPU is...

That wasn't really the point I was trying to make, but that works too. I just wish that we had decent public transportation out here in the mid west. When you live in a town of only a couple thousand people and the nearest decent sized town is 60-70 miles away, it's kind of hard to get by without one.

I like the freedom of having a car (cars! more than one of course!).

If I want to go somewhere I get up and go and I can go anywhere I want when I want

Don't have to worry about that strange person sitting across from me on the bus sharpening his knife.

If the power goes out, the thieves would need to wait 12 hours until the back-up generator runs out of fuel.

Only 12 hours? You need one of these!

http://www.generac.com/Residential/Guardian/Products/Guardian_Series_17_kW/

During the last hurricane (IKE) I was the only one with power in the neighborhood for a week ! :evilgrin:

I like the freedom of having a car (cars! more than one of course!).

If I want to go somewhere I get up and go and I can go anywhere I want when I want

Don't have to worry about that strange person sitting across from me on the bus sharpening his knife.

I didn't mean that I wouldn't have a car if I had good public transportation, I just meant that I wouldn't have to use it to get somewhere.

And I love when things are expensive enough that they don't bother listing the price.

• 1 month later...

El Capitan,

Love your rigs. I had been a hobby builder a few years back, and now getting back in toit. Started as a budget builder too,but found myself constantly wanting better faster, more fun learning and tinkering. Anyway I noticed you modified your CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX modded with a Noctua NF-P12 fan. I don't have my PSU yet(next week) but why ? Noise ? and can you just buy the Noctua fan ? I looked and only found the complete cooler for sale so far. Simple mod ?

El Capitan,

Love your rigs. I had been a hobby builder a few years back, and now getting back in toit. Started as a budget builder too,but found myself constantly wanting better faster, more fun learning and tinkering. Anyway I noticed you modified your CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX modded with a Noctua NF-P12 fan. I don't have my PSU yet(next week) but why ? Noise ? and can you just buy the Noctua fan ? I looked and only found the complete cooler for sale so far. Simple mod ?

Thanks. Yeah, it had a decent bit of noise with the fan. Bear in mind, it wasn't that loud, but it wasn't silent, either. It is a simple mod, but you also don't get variability - the more load on the PSU, the more power to the stock fan to give it more RPM's. I basically soldered the fan to the +12 and ground, but put in a resistor to make it from 12v to 7v. The Noctua's have good CFM's, so I'm not worried that it won't cool the PSU components. So far, it's been going steady for 3 months.