Fastest way to wipe multiple hard drives.

I run a non-profit where we take in old systems and refurbish them for students of families that can't afford a computer. We have a donor who gave us a ton of systems all P4 or better but they can't release all the hard drives they have till they have all been securely wipes. Most all are from banks. I need a way to pipe them several at a time. They had an old server. An old dual processor PIII 800mhz that holds 6 drives. I was thinking of a way to turn it into a multi drive wiper. use maybe DSL, Damn Small Linux as the OS to run a multi drive secure wipe DOD protocol wiper. Am I going down the right track or it there an easier way?

Is there a better way to use this old server to wipe six at a time??

Edited by Dad_a_Monk

What ^ said :) Keep in mind wipes with that program take a LONG time. I did a bunch of ~100 gig drives when working at zymogenitics a couple of summers ago.  The average wipe time was about 6 hours. Although we had to run DOD level wipes, which probably added extra time. I think I have pictures somewhere.

FYI, if you can commit multiple rigs to the project the Dban CD can be ejected one the options are selected. My partner and I ran as many simultaneous laptop wipes as we could fit on two 3 ft x 10 10 tables. We had to scrounge power bricks and power strips like crazy. :lol:

Yeah that's my biggest problem. This company has in their contract that all drives have to be a min of DOD wiped before they can leave their vault. That's the slow down. Was hoping someone had experience converting a server into a multi wiped so we could just slam them in 6 at a time. I'm still playing with it. I might have it figured out. Just need a faster way to DOD wipe, but I know I'm limited to the speed of the drive its self