Need help - think I screwed up

pkilway

Current pc is listed in the signature.  My OCZ ssd was running out of space, so I figured I buy a new Samsung 840 256gb to run as my boot drive.

I installed the new Samsung ssd and tried to run the Samsung migration software.  But it would error out after 2 minutes.  So I thought I'd go with a fresh install of Win 7 on the Samsung 840 and use my last system restore which I completed the morning before I added the Samsung 840.

So, made a fresh install of Win 7 on the Samsung and it went to the system reboot.  But now mh pc hangs at the Windows Loading text - not graphic.

In the end, I have two installs of Windows 7 on two different ssd's, and my pc doesn't boot to either of them.  I tried unplugging the Samsung ssd to boot to the OCZ but it still hangs at the same spot.

Need help fixing this darn thing.  Willing to reinstall Win 7 if someone can help me out.

no you dont... you can either try/do the registry hack or do the double install....

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

+1  upgrade isn't a problem! It's how I've installed it many a times...

However Bowtie -- you've got a hell of an explanation there -- way too much damn information there. Sorry bro. There's a much easier way to do this...

Install with the upgrade disk, just don't enter the key...boot again, and install a second time -- this time with the key...DONE. :)

no you dont... you can either try/do the registry hack or do the double install....

http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

+1 upgrade isn't a problem! It's how I've installed it many a times...

However Bowtie -- you've got a hell of an explanation there -- way too much damn information there. Sorry bro. There's a much easier way to do this...

Install with the upgrade disk, just don't enter the key...boot again, and install a second time -- this time with the key...DONE. :)

yup...waht bp said !...i do double installs all the time...

+1  upgrade isn't a problem! It's how I've installed it many a times...

However Bowtie -- you've got a hell of an explanation there -- way too much damn information there. Sorry bro. There's a much easier way to do this...

yeah you can do that too...I may have linked the one that was different.. the one i was shooting for had 3 options...

EDIT: yep it is the one... it gives Method 1 or 2 or 3.... it does give a lot of info though...

Ok, new plan.

1) Disconnect old OCZ ssd.

2) Set Samsung 840 Pro as primary.

3) Install Win 7 on Samsung 840 Pro until validation.

4) Reboot, reinstall Win 7 again on the Samsung 840 Pro, letting Win 7 move the old files to Windows.old.

5) Boot into Win 7, update OS, remove Windows.old directory, recover from saved image.

6) Reconnect OCZ ssd, format for backup ssd/swapfile.

when i double install i dont get the windows old... it installs over the top

That's because you follow the upgrade path - I literally install Windows twice from the boot disk/key.

It leaves a Windows.old folder to delete but you don't have to hassle with doing an in-place upgrade install.