My i7-

trixter108

Introduction

So I'm new around here and I thought, what better way to start then post my current rig. I've had this build for a while now and it works great for what I use it for. I also want to know if you guys have any suggestions on upgrades for it.

System

To start, I am a gamer and I do a bit of video and photo editing. This build is probably the most powerful system I have ever built. The only rig I've used that's more powerful is my dad's rig that has a Titan. Anyway I'll post the specs first and then I will give my reasons for choosing each component.

• CPU- Intel i7-4770K
  • CPU Cooler- Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM
  • Motherboard- Asus SABERTOOTH Z87
  • GPU- 2 Asus 4GB GeForce GTX 680s
  • Memory- 16GB (4x4GB) of Corsair Vengence DDR3-1600
  • SSD- Samsung 830 Series 128GB
  • HDD- 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black
  • PSU- Corsair 860W 80 PLUS Platinum
  • Case- Cooler Master Storm Enfrocer ATX Mid
  • Moniter- Asus PB278Q 27"
  • Mouse- Logitech G700s Recharable
  • Keyboard- Logitech G19s
  • Headset- Logitech G930 Wireless
  • Controller- Logitech F710 Wireless

Why I Chose these Components

I'll go in order starting with the CPU. Intel has always been my favorite processor. I've used two AMDs and am just more happy with Intel's performane and power usage. I got this baby overclocked to 4.4Ghz with an idle temperature of 30* Celsius and a loading temperature of 50* Celsius. I love this thing and wouldn't change it for any other processor on the market. The Intel 4th generation processors are definitely worth the buy and I would recommend this to everyone looking for a gaming and video editing PC. If you only do gaming, you won't see much of a difference between the 4th gen i5 and i7. Overall, this CPU has done great with this system.

I went with the H100i because it is one of the best liquid cooling units out there and I was planning on doing some heavy overclocking to the CPU and GPU when I built this rig. This allowed me to get my CPU and GPU's idle temperature down to 30* C, whitch is well within my acceptable range. I could probably push then higher if I wanted to, but I'd rather keep it safe. Overall, this cooling unit has done a phenomenal job at keeping my system cool and efficient. I would recommend this to anyone that's planning on overclocking their system, as it will allow you to get the speed way up there whilst keeping your CPU cool.

Ok I got to be honest, this motherboard is probably overkill. But I still love it! I mean, you just can't beat Asus motherboards in my opinion. The Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 does an amazing job at doing it's job. Which is to tie all the other parts together serve as a coordinator for all the parts. This thing has Crossfire and SLI support and I put two very powerful cards on it. The thermal armor is great and has two fans for amazing airflow that directs heat off of the key components. The TUF fortifier that Asus puts on it is awesome. This thing truly combines great strength and cooling. Heck, I put two pretty heavy graphics cards and a liquid CPU cooler and it didn't even look like it was stressed at all. It also keeps dust out of your back i/O ports, expansion and memory slots, and critical connectors. To be honest, I could write a full ten page review on this beautiful motherboard. It has served me well and I wouls 100% recommend this to anyone looking for the best gaming and editing experience.

Oh my 680s, how awesome they are. I don't think I need to ramble on about how good a Asus 680 is, but two of them is beautiful. I haven't got to overclicking them yet, but I don't think I need to. With these two GPUs, I can play some of the best games on the market on ultra settings with a 70-120 frame rate. Just some of the games I play are: Battlefield 3, Crysis 3, Arma 2, DayZ, Combat Arms, League of Legends, Far Cry 3, and a whole crap-load more. I mean, we all know what a GTX 680 is and how amazing it is, but when you get the money, put another one on your system. Believe me you won't be disappointed. Overall, I couldn't ask for more out of these cards, but I might still overclock em and see just how much they can take.

I went with the Corsair Vengence because Corsair has always been my favorite for RAM. It's a personal preference really when it comes to memory. I have never had a problem with Corsair's memory, but you may like G. Skill better, it's personal preference. RAM is RAM. I went with 16GB because I had extra money when I was building it and thought, "what the heck." Overall, I love this RAM, but if you want a different brand, go for it. Like I said, RAM is RAM.

Samsung has always been my favorite for SSDs. I trust Samsung and have been using them since I've been using SSDs. Anyway, 128GBs is stores my OS and a game I favor. Right now it has a Battlefield 3 on it, because I've been playing it a lot lately. NOt much to say, it's just an SSD.

2TBs is plenty for anything I don't want on my SSD. Like I said I am a gamer and I have tons of games on my PC. I chose the Caviar Black because I wanted the fastest HDD I could get without exceeding my budget. 7200RPM is nothing laugh at. This thing gets the job done nicely and has proven to be plenty fast and plenty big for my needs.

Now we all know that you NEVER want to cheap out on a PSU, especially on a high end system. Your PSU is what gives all your other components power. If you have some of the best parts in the market in your rig, you don't want a low quality, crappy PSU giving your parts crappy power. I used pcpartpicker.com to find the cheapest buys for my components. One of the other awesome things about pcpartpicker.com is that it gives you an estimate on how much wattage you will need to power your system. It's usually pretty accurate and I got somewhere around 580W. I knew I wanted to overclock and I wanted to modular one. I decided to play it safe with a modular 860W PSU from Corsair. This is plenty for all the overclocking I want and any upgrades in the future.

And now for my case. I've always used Cooler Master, except for a small build for which I used the BitFenix Prodigy. Cooler Master is my favorite brand and a really good one. This case looks beautiful and has amazing airflow to it. I have plenty drive bays and space for all my components. Not much to say about this one because it's a case. For a case just get what you want an make sure it works.

Moving on to my peripherals. This moniter takes full advantage of my two 680s. It has 2560x1440, but you can always puch higher than that if you like. The moniter is a 27", so it is big enough that I dont need two moniters to play my games. The LED backlighting is awesome and a wicked fast response time of 5 ms. Overall, this moniter has proven more than capable of displaying beast graphics from my 680s.

Ok I'll admit, I'm a Logitech fanboy. In my opinion Logutech makes the best mice, keyboards, headsets, and controllers. The G700s Rechargable mouse is amazing. You can recharge it while still playing. It has 13 programable buttons and in-game sensitivity switching. Also, as far as I can tell, the mouse has maintained its promised 1 ms response time. This is a great mouse and I don't think I'll ever be switching.

My keyboard is just as amazing as my mouse. It has an adjustable LCD that can display stats, Voip communication data, background system info, and much more. It also has custom color backlight keys and 19 programable keys for macros. The anti-ghosting on a ll the keys allows me to press whatever I want, when I want.  It also has two high-speed USP ports on the top.

My headset is something I prize most because I love tactical shooters where you have to communicate and be aware of all your sorroundings. THis headset is wireless and and has great souround sound. I can't really explain its awesomeness with words, just try it out, you will not be disappointed.

This controller I got for fighting games like Mortal Kombat and stuff, so I don't really use it at all. It's a good controller, but a waste of money for me.

Conclusion

Well, there you have it folks. My system summed up in one post. This rig has done me well, but I do have some money for upgrades. The problem is, I don't know what to upgrade. Suggestions would be awesome and tell me what you think of my rig. Thanks for reading!

-trixter108

Edited by trixter108

My two Titans are more powerful than.............. ummmmmm

LOL Frank, Kratos might attack your system with so many Titans in there.

Great build you got there trixter. Any plans to put it under water?

No plans to put it underwater as of yet. I was actually thinking of upgrading to a 256GB SSD for more space. I can't think of any other component upgrades until new parts hit the market except for faster RAM. I could always upgrade peripherals, but I'm satisfied with what I have here. I could put it aside and start working on system for "client". There's sooo many choices. Suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

-trixter108

When I said "a while" I meant from about the time it has come out. It feels like I've had this computer for way longer because I had all the parts except for the CPU two weeks before the launch. Sorry if I mislead you. Isn't it obvious? I'm located in a galaxy far,far away. LOL, JK. I'm in the states.