GUIDE for Unlocking MSI AfterBurner

Speedway

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the max clocks it let me use are 900/1325 for my HD6950. is there any way to increase it?

ello folks

Sorry for reviving the thread

finally registerd to post this.

u all probaly know about this but i'll link it anyway. ive been looking into using it myself but flashin gpu bios's is all new to me lol.

its a bios msi have released for the R6950 2gbb twin frozr III pe that will unlock the shaders and will break the cc mem limitations. oh and the voltage limitation too. http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html

i havent tried it yet but probaly will as im sure the shaders are there. if i use HWINFO it shows the 1536 shaders. Gpu-z does'nt.

hope this helps some peeps :D

post-87074-0-78642700-1339848698_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have read about many users who can't seem to get MSI Afterburner to unlock voltages and extreme overclocking. There is a new Beta version of 2.1 that seems to be working quite well when it comes to being "unlocked!" However there are a few tricks to get this to work properly, especially if you are using an AMD/ATI card. But, so far I have this 2.1 beta 7 version working perfectly with my MSI 6970's and figured I would share :cheers:

I recommend uninstalling your current AfterBurner before proceeding

1st - Dowload the latest MSI AfterBurner link located in Update above and install.

2nd - Locate the folder where MSI Afterburner installed to, open it, and locate the CFG file named MSIAfterburner. When you 1st dbl click this file it will ask you what program you want to use to open it, choose "Notepad" and click "ok" Once you have the MSIAfterburner CFG file open in notepad you need to change a couple of settings near the bottom:

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1 (to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path)<--Do not type this, just for reference ;) I have mine set to = 1

After you have made these changes, DO NOT forget to click "file" and "save" before exiting notepad, or your changes will not take into effect!

Nvidia Users: Working just fine on my GTX 680, you are finished :evilgrin:

AMD/ATI Users: There are still additional step you need to take or your PC will lockup if you try to change any clocks or voltages in AfterBurner!

Once you have saved your changes in the CFG file, close notepad, click "start" and type "regedit" (with no quotes) in the search field near the bottom. A new window will open (pictured below), this is your Registry Editor.

Here is the path you need to follow - click on each folder, in order until you get to {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

From there follow the instructions I have made on the picture! After you have finished, RESTART your PC and everything should work! If you do not restart your PC after making these changes, your PC WILL freeze up if you try to change your clocks or voltages in Afterburner!

regeditss.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hello, I have an old dell with a P4 660 @3.6ghz 4 gb ram and an amd hd 6570 1gb ddr3, I know is an old computer but that is why I want to fry it, it can play Crysis maxed @ around 30-40 fps and I just want more fps, so i decided to overclock the video card. the card came with core clock @ 650 factory and 900mhz memory memory which I increased to 675 core clock and 1000 memory using the amd catalyst, I saw an improvement of bandwidth from 28gb/s to 32gb/s and increased frame rates, but I read that I can achieve 845mhz core clock and 1150 memory usin msi afterburner, I followed your guide but I was stocked when I need to save the changes in the msiafterburner cfg file, it says acces denied, I am currently the admin for this pc, and can not see why would not let me keep the changes, any help or comment will be greatly apreciatted, thak you!

• 4 weeks later...

hello, I have an old dell with a P4 660 @3.6ghz 4 gb ram and an amd hd 6570 1gb ddr3, I know is an old computer but that is why I want to fry it, it can play Crysis maxed @ around 30-40 fps and I just want more fps, so i decided to overclock the video card. the card came with core clock @ 650 factory and 900mhz memory memory which I increased to 675 core clock and 1000 memory using the amd catalyst, I saw an improvement of bandwidth from 28gb/s to 32gb/s and increased frame rates, but I read that I can achieve 845mhz core clock and 1150 memory usin msi afterburner, I followed your guide but I was stocked when I need to save the changes in the msiafterburner cfg file, it says acces denied, I am currently the admin for this pc, and can not see why would not let me keep the changes, any help or comment will be greatly apreciatted, thak you!

Best guess is you installed MSI in the program files directory. I use windows 8 and i try and install everything that will work outside of those folders, outside of them. Admin priveleges seem to be broken in the release preview. Maybe I'm wrong, anyway I just came here to read how to unlock MSI for amd users, dude's instructions are great except that I can't access the photo. The connection is reset early when I try to access it. I would appreciate patience from advanced users as I am just learning, organically, and it's a slow process.

Edited by midas_mind

does it works with sapphire hd 6950 1 gb dual fan edition? because as far as i know, msi ab doesn't support it yet, or maybe that version does..i'm at 935/1410 with trixx at 1.18v and i have feeling that with 1.2v i can hit 960-970..replies are welcome..thanks

• 2 months later...

I have read about many users who can't seem to get MSI Afterburner to unlock voltages and extreme overclocking. There is a new Beta version of 2.1 that seems to be working quite well when it comes to being "unlocked!" However there are a few tricks to get this to work properly, especially if you are using an AMD/ATI card. But, so far I have this 2.1 beta 7 version working perfectly with my MSI 6970's and figured I would share :cheers:

I recommend uninstalling your current AfterBurner before proceeding

1st - Dowload the latest MSI AfterBurner link located in Update above and install.

2nd - Locate the folder where MSI Afterburner installed to, open it, and locate the CFG file named MSIAfterburner. When you 1st dbl click this file it will ask you what program you want to use to open it, choose "Notepad" and click "ok" Once you have the MSIAfterburner CFG file open in notepad you need to change a couple of settings near the bottom:

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1 (to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path)<--Do not type this, just for reference ;) I have mine set to = 1

After you have made these changes, DO NOT forget to click "file" and "save" before exiting notepad, or your changes will not take into effect!

Nvidia Users: Working just fine on my GTX 680, you are finished :evilgrin:

AMD/ATI Users: There are still additional step you need to take or your PC will lockup if you try to change any clocks or voltages in AfterBurner!

Once you have saved your changes in the CFG file, close notepad, click "start" and type "regedit" (with no quotes) in the search field near the bottom. A new window will open (pictured below), this is your Registry Editor.

Here is the path you need to follow - click on each folder, in order until you get to {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

From there follow the instructions I have made on the picture! After you have finished, RESTART your PC and everything should work! If you do not restart your PC after making these changes, your PC WILL freeze up if you try to change your clocks or voltages in Afterburner!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/511/regeditss.png/

I cant se te pic,is to small and i cant zoom it,please help me

• 1 month later...

please dont dig up old threads. If you want to know about a different topic, then there is a search bar conveniently located in the top right of the forum list

• 2 weeks later...

I have been gone for a little while, haven't seen the posts about the pic being messed up...sorry.  I looked for the original pic I made for this guide, but I can't seem to find it.  In the next week I will recheck to see if this guide still works for unlocking Afterburner, then make a new, clear diagram showing the steps needed to be done to unlock Afterburner.

But, like Savan said...If you have a question about something other than unlocking MSI Afterburner, either search or start a new thread!

• 6 months later...