ATI Catalyst settings can't duplicate third monitor for eyefinity

Gagzila

Hi Everyone,

I am on the cusp of finishing my new gaming rig setup but have hit a speed bump. I go to clone all three monitors in readiness to group them but the ATI Catalyst Control Center will only duplicate two of the monitors, as soon as I duplicate the third it turns the first monitor off and simply displays a duplicated image on monitors 2 and 3 and vice versa if I then try to duplicate monitor 1.

Going of the advice from my other thread on the eyefinity setup and various youtube videos I have seen on how to connect the monitors, I have 2 monitors plugged into the two DVI ports and an active miniDP to DVI adapter plugged in for the other monitor. This is on a HD6950 in crossfireX with another HD6950, I am running all the monitors of the top card.

Any advice on resolving this ASAP would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Craig

Edited by Gagzila

Hey Craig it is what I thought the dp to dvi adapters you picked up were passive have you tried connecting dvi, hdmi, dp instead of dvi, dp, dp?

I knew I couldn't see it saying anywhere on the apple display port adapter that it was active or passive and of the price alone and the stupid prices we are heaped with here I think your outta luck and better see if a refund/store credit can be got from dick smith.

Hi El_Capitan,

Your advice goes against everything I have read so far, especially the fact that all 3 monitors need to be on the first card to keep them in the same display group to be able to enable eyefinity across all 3.

Quote from AMD FAQ

Does AMD CrossFireX™ technology work with AMD Eyefinity Technology?

Yes, AMD CrossFireX™ technology is now compatible with AMD Eyefinity technology.

Note: Monitors connected in a Display Group must be connected to the same graphics card.

Thanks,

Craig

Hi El_Capitan,

Your advice goes against everything I have read so far, especially the fact that all 3 monitors need to be on the first card to keep them in the same display group to be able to enable eyefinity across all 3.

Quote from AMD FAQ

Thanks,

Craig

el captain is thinking of how nvidea cards work, not amd.

for eyefinity you need an active displayport to dvi adapter, for one of the screens, then use the minidp to dp adapter that should have come with the card.

im running two of these

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15438

on my top 6970, so i have 4 screens running off one card, 3 in eyefinity and a vga screen aswell, and it works perfectly

One card can only support 2 monitors even with a mini display port (I think). Use the 2nd card for your 3rd monitor.

Not quite right captain. Both of his cards could singularly support 3 screens. The dvi and hdmi share an output and can only support up to 1080p each if used together or can support greater if only one of them is used along with a dp.

Dp need an active adapter to dvi single link for res up to 1920x1200 and dual link for res higher. If a passive is used it will be fine until eyefinity is used it is possible for him to possibly get an extended desktop but not eyefinity.

Eyefinity also requires all monitors connected to the same card. Or rather crossfire does he would loose both if he tried plugging into the second card he could run separate desktops but not cf and eyefinity.

Hi El_Capitan,

Quote from AMD FAQ

Thanks,

Craig

It doesn't hurt to try, now, does it?

Bloody internet, pile of misinformation...I had multiple sources confirming the apple adapter was active, obviously not then if that's what would happen with a passive one. Yeah I was going to order one of those Muchoman but thought at the time that the apple one would do the trick.

Now I have wait another couple of days to order it in, thanks anyway guys...just the quick advice I needed to figure out what's going on :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Craig

Edited by Gagzila

It doesn't hurt to try, now, does it?

He could still. It is just unfortunate as muchoman says amd works diferently to nividia.

Trying to run monitors off the secondary card disables cf and eyefinity. It is just the way the cards function.

He could still. It is just unfortunate as muchoman says amd works diferently to nividia.

Trying to run monitors off the secondary card disables cf and eyefinity. It is just the way the cards function.

Nah, I just tried, it has to use the mini display port.

For Nvidia surround, you can use 2 DVI or 1 HDMI and 1 DVI on one card, and 1 HDMI or 1 DVI on the 2nd card.

• 6 months later...

HI. I have a similar problem and want to clarify something. I have 2 5770s I believe. Each has a DVI main port, 1 HDMI port and a Display Port. I have the main DVI port plugged into one monitor, and I have the Active DP adapter attached to another monitor's DVI-D port and attached to the cards Display Port. On the other 5770 I have attached the 3rd monitor from its DVI-D port to an Active Display Port Adapter to the card's Display Port. All monitors work fine but when I try to set up eyefinity with 12.3 CCC I can only get the two monitors on the one 5770 card to be able to duplicate and the other monitor attached to the 2nd 5770 will not duplicate. Therefore, I cannot Create a Group in CCC for all 3 monitors to work as one for gaming. So as I read this post it sounds like I would have to connect all 3 monitors to one of my two 5770 cards, which means one monitor would have to be connected to the card's HDMI port via a DVI-HDMI adapter. Is this correct? Thanks for any help.