Thermaltake Meka G1 Gaming Keyboard Review

bp9801

I love the concept of a mechnical keyboard, the durability alone is a big deal to me. I understand your concern about the backlighting but Thermaltake has an option that is essencially a USB powered LED, called an XJOG it sells for like $10. Personally however I have found a great work around is the small LED book lights which can clip to the back of the keyboard and work great for giving enough light for typing and not so much as to brighten the room or glare for the screen.

makes using removable drives simpler without having to reach down to the back of a case for access.

This quote from your conclusion struck me since I have not had to reach behind my system to plug in a USB anything for a long time thanks to the advent of the front USB ports on cases.

I have never understood the concept of using the audiojacks on the keyboard. I mean having them there is great for headsets but what if you want to use speakers? You spent time plugging and unplugging both the headset and the speakers putting a lot of wear on the plugs. Again the front headset jacks on the case do the same job, are just as easy to access and allow the speakers to stay plugged in all the time and used when headphones are not.

Finally, for a gaming keyboard, no where in your review did I see any mention of the macro software for setup nor the fact that this "gaming" keyboard lacks the most basic feature of a gaming keyboard, a macro key set.

Essentially you are paying an MRP fo $140 for a basic mechanical keyboard with USB and audio jacks. While I do not doubt it is a great keyboard is it really worth a silver rating for that?

Finally, for a gaming keyboard, no where in your review did I see any mention of the macro software for setup nor the fact that this "gaming" keyboard lacks the most basic feature of a gaming keyboard, a macro key set.
Thermaltake sells a keyboard with macros for people who use that sort of thing, sometimes you just want a 'gamer-style' keyboard with no frills but don't want to settle for a lightweight flimsy POS.

I game pretty heavily (everything from FPS) and own a keyboard with 8 macro keys (24 if you change modes) and have never used any of them.

Obviously like I was saying that doesn't mean that no one does but I'm willing to bet that the majority of people who have macro keys never use them.

So what then makes it a "gamer" style keyboard. I mean if it has nothing that helps with gaming over a standard keyboard then how can it be called a gamer keyboard? The addition of USB ports? Interesting feature but as I pointed out there have been easy access USB ports for a long time on the front of cases. BTW I have NEVER used a keyboards USB port like you have never used macros. The headphone jack? As I have said previously that is a bigger pain in the butt than it is wrth and again easy access for these kinds of conncetions have been around a long time. Faster key polling? I mean you get my point if a keyboard is meant to help gamers then the most helpful feature it can offer, macro keys should be present.

As for the majority with them not using them I would not be so sure. Most of those keyboards cost a lot extra and for people not gaming there is little reason in their eyes to pay the extra when a $20 keyboard gets the job done.

I do get your point and even agree with it partially but I am still back to paying over $100 for a standard keyboard that is marketed as a gaming keyboard while lacking the basic feature needed to truly help with gaming.

Edited by ComputerEd

I agree with ComputerEd. "Gaming" is just an advertising thing. Even non-gaming keyboards have macro buttons (for e-mail, internet browsing, launching music, calculator, etc.).

1. You want the fastest response (like a mouse) in order to ensure your commands are made. Yet, I don't have any trouble with normal keyboards for response, but it seems to me that mechanical keyboards, that's what they claim is better (and longer lasting).

2. Layout for the keyboard and macros are important. Windows key sucks for gamers, but most keyboards have software that will disable it, or you can disable it by tweaking Windows, or the game itself. Macros are a nice feature if you're playing an MMO, but I don't find it really useful in RTS's or FPS's. I never really liked having to rely on customized macros (in case I ever play on someone elses computer), but unless you're playing professionally and always on your own system, I don't see it as an important gaming feature.

3. Backlighting is a cool and useful feature, but doesn't have to be a "gaming" thing.

Logitech makes a good run for "gaming" features by adding in an LCD, but I hear it doesn't work some of the time, and when it does work, it's not really useful.

Macros-on-the-fly is just about the only good thing that comes from a gaming keyboard.

I think what would make a good gaming keyboard:

1. Silent keys. If you're gaming with a team and on Skype or something similar, what ruins it for me are people typing with loud keyboards. However, the drawback is, everyone on your team needs to get one.

2. Lower pricing. $100+ for a "gaming" keyboard? I can go through 3 of my favorite Logitech illuminated keyboards and it would still be cheaper (Logitech illuminated keyboards have thinner keys, like laptops - which I prefer).

3. Breakaway gamepad. There should be a detachable gamepad on a "gaming" keyboard. I think it'd be cool. It doesn't have to be fancy or anything.

4. Scroll wheel. A mouse has it, but it'd be nice if a keyboard had it. I prefer using the mouse scroll wheel for zooming in and out using a scope, but then I can't scroll through weapons that way. If they had one (say between the 3 and 4 button), that would make things easier.

5. Key press pressure. I hate having to hold down the Shift key if I want to run/sprint. They should have pressure sensors on the keys. If you press down harder on the keys, rather than a light touch, that should enable the "move faster" mode.

Yea, I think I'm with Ed anf Capi on this 1 too! I know I got my G15 as a present, and would have never spent $100 of my own money on it! Now with that said, I do love it and am glad that I got it. I'm not an MMO gamer, only FPS, and the macros are basically of no use to me in game. But, out of game they are freaking awesome. Heck if for nothing else using macros to auto-enter standard personal info that many websites ask saves tons of time ;)

Just curious though Capi, usually the only time the scrool wheel can't be used to cycle through weapons is when you are scoped. As soon as you exit "scope" mode then you can cycle back through your weapons right? I know what I did to move to a pistol quickly from scoped mode, is usually just set a key that takes me immediately to a handgun or a knife (CS) if I want to get real dirty, and humiliate some1 :)

Just curious though Capi, usually the only time the scrool wheel can't be used to cycle through weapons is when you are scoped. As soon as you exit "scope" mode then you can cycle back through your weapons right? I know what I did to move to a pistol quickly from scoped mode, is usually just set a key that takes me immediately to a handgun or a knife (CS) if I want to get real dirty, and humiliate some1 :)

True. I forgot about that. Still, I think it'd be useful to have on a keyboard. Maybe cycle through something else? The useful part of having it on a keyboard is being able to custom macro it, so each scroll click gives you a selected item to equip.

I'm just trying to think of "gamer" specific ideas. ;)

It's not a bad keyboard, but to me it's far too basic to be a "gaming" keyboard. I think it's priced too high for its features, so I think I'll be sticking with my razer lycosa. Great review! :thumbsup:

And you show price as a negative when the Lycosa retails now for $90! That's like the pot calling the kettle black! LOL

A mechanical keyboard is one that many people clamor for because they want that tactile feel or click not just a rub over a key to put the letter or symbol on the screen. I have a brother in law who will search for old IBM mechanical keyboards. He has one now that I would not touch with a 30 foot pole but it still works 8 years into ownership with everyday gaming use.

@Ed are you talking about durability concerns as in increased lifespan or a shorter span due to a mechanical switch. I think there are both positives and negatives here as it really depends on the quality of the switch.

Why is it a gaming keyboard?

Full n-key rollover when using the PS2 port. Extremely important when you're punching keys quickly and need every keystroke to register. Some gamers don't need/want all sorts of extras. They just need it to work properly every time.

As for the cost, the Cherry key switches cost about $1/switch and are proven reliable for long term use (only Topre switches are considered more reliable but cost twice as much).

I've been using a Filco keyboard with blue Cherry switches for the last 7 months and it's been the best ~$150 I've spent on my computer.

In the same vein, the Logitech G9X mouse is gaming mouse despite only having the basic 2 main buttons, a scroll wheel, and forward/back thumb buttons.

Edited by Psydotek

And you show price as a negative when the Lycosa retails now for $90! That's like the pot calling the kettle black! LOL

Ah but the pot got his keyboard at a discount due to open box. Yay for people opening boxes in store. :thumbsup:

Now even if it weren't open box, I still would have paid full price due to the features. To me, the lycosa's features are worth it. That's just my opinion.