m2 ssd in 1TB capacity

Laststop

For now till Samsung & Plextor release 1-TB M.2 SSD's this fall,..  only way to run 1-TB would be with a PCIe 3.0X16 NGFF/M.2 adapter that will run dual 512GB SSD's @ 985 MB/s per lane,.. from "Soliton Technologies" in Taiwan.

And go with the 512GB Samsung XP941 M.2 PCIe SSD,.. runs @ 1170 MB/s read and 970 MB/s write,.. from "RamCity" in Sydny, Australia.

Unfortunately the adapter would not work on your set-up,.. :ouch:

Edited by Braegnok

For now till Samsung & Plextor release 1-TB M.2 SSD's this fall,..  only way to run 1-TB would be with a PCIe 3.0X16 NGFF/M.2 adapter that will run dual 512GB SSD's @ 985 MB/s per lane,.. from "Soliton Technologies" in Taiwan.

And go with the 512GB Samsung XP941 M.2 PCIe SSD,.. runs @ 1170 MB/s read and 970 MB/s write,.. from "RamCity" in Sydny, Australia.

I just checked both sites and they have items in stock,.. but this set up is not cheep,.. :ouch:

There is your answer OP,  :cheers:

I just checked both sites and they have items in stock,.. but this set up is not cheep,.. :ouch:

There is your answer OP,  :cheers:

I'm starting to think OCC users these days can't read...

In the OP it states the board he intends to use has an onboard M.2 slot, THAT is what he wants to use, STOP SUGGESTING HE USE SOMETHING ELSE AS A "SOLUTION" WHEN IT"S NOT WHAT HE WANTS FOR SUCH A SMALL BUILD

With all that said, I think his best advice would be to read what I posted in his other build thread, a large chunk of the tech you want to use isn't out yet, no point in shopping around and buying stuff now to have it sit in the box or on your desk for a few months while you wait, chances are by the time you NEED the 1TB SSD someone will have one ready for sale through Newegg/Amazon/etc ready for the buying because it usually doesn't take long for something of this type to move from OEM only to "here's a retail version give us money"

yeah I only got the case now because it was a limited 1000 unit production run. The case is very unique and rly nothing else out there exists as small and perfectly set up as this one. I currently have an i7-980x/5870 PC so I'm not desperate to get this build done now. 1TB m2 ssd's are a real thing, the OEM only samsung sm951 and sm953 do come in 1TB capacity and are equipped with a pci-e 3.0 x4 interface. Reading up on broadwell it seems that full wattage desktop broadwell won't be seen till mid 2015 so I'm just gonna sit back and relax I'm sure in the next 8-9 months there will be a lot more m2 options.

The 1-TB M.2 consumer availability is just around the corner,.. looks like Kingston is also releasing 1-TB M.2's utilizing the new LSI SandForce SF3700 flash controller after finalizing firmware.

Edited by Braegnok

• 4 weeks later...

Well it is still looking grim in the 1TB m2 pcie 3.0 x4 ssd market. Now that haswell-e has released and a slew of motherboards of 3.0 x4 ultra m2 slots retail availability for the ssd's to fill these slots has to be around the corner no?

I would even be happy with a 512GB one. Also I don't see any 2.5" sata express ssd's for sale either. What is up with this slow market?

Don't u think there is room for both tho? Considering sata express is limited to 10 gbit and m2 goes up to 32gbit. I mean I still got quite a long time till broadwell is actually released so I'm not stressing yet but it's like you google pcie gen 3.0 x4 m2 ssd's and its practically completely dead silent from all manufacturers. Supposedly there is supposed to be a 1TB samsung SM951 drive good luck finding any info on it tho. Guess all I can do is hope the pieces come together in time. Desktop broadwell is what q1 2015 and there is still no ETA on big maxwell gm200 or gm210 whatever the codename is and before someone responds im not talking about gtx 880/980 thats small maxwell gm204.

I could see since both take up pci-e lanes only 1 becoming popular. If there can only be room for 1 im sure m2 is going to win out. But with sata express you got a full 2.5" pcb to work with can fit more chips. They could easily produce a 4TB sata express ssd if they rly wanted to. Capacity could be a reason why both standards are around.

Edited by Laststop