Do you use an onboard or aftermarket soundcard?

sdy284

Soundcards...  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use onboard sound or have an aftermarket soundcard?

• Onboard
    • Aftermarket
    • I use a laptop & use onboard sound
    • I use a laptop & use aftermarket sound (usb soundcards)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Audigy on my main rig...why waste cpu cycles on software sound that doesn't sound as good?

Because I've got better things to spend $80 on than a sound card that'll move me from 80fps to 82fps? :)

I've got a fairly mid-range 2.1 setup and I don't listen to a lot of music off the main rig, so the Karajan onboard is more than enough to me. Also, as I've said before, I think a good portion of the anti-onboard bandwagon couldn't tell the difference in a blind sound test.

Because I've got better things to spend $80 on than a sound card that'll move me from 80fps to 82fps? :)

I've got a fairly mid-range 2.1 setup and I don't listen to a lot of music off the main rig, so the Karajan onboard is more than enough to me. Also, as I've said before, I think a good portion of the anti-onboard bandwagon couldn't tell the difference in a blind sound test.

I think this is fair enough :) I never really bought in to the whole "a sound card will free up your CPU when processing sound" thing either. I still don't, even with an X-fi which can actually do all the fancy effects in hardware. I have not noticed a difference, and I never expected to either. I am sure that it does make a difference, but it's not really anything to fret over and as you rightly say... ~2 extra FPS or whatever for $80 isn't exactly value for money :D

However, I also didn't think I would be able to tell the difference in 'sound quality' moving from my old Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 to the X-fi. I have found it sounds really quite different from both my on-board and my old card. I am quite a skeptic though and I honestly don't know if I would be able to blind test it. It may well just be that I am happy to have a new card, and want to enjoy my new purchase! The brain can pull some funny tricks on you like that :) I already know that some days my sound system sounds quite different [for no reason, i haven't touched / changed a thinkg] and I really really enjoy the music coming out of it (regardless of how non-perfect my current system is!). Other days it's just... music. Doesn't seem very special like 'the other day'.

I may well build a switch box or sorts and try one of these days though, out of curiosity!

Edited by markiemrboo

Audigy SE in the wife's rig as well as my own. And the kids rig, onboard. And with me being half deaf I am unable to tell the differance between them. Money Well Wasted. :smack: