Upgrade. GTX 480 vs GTX 650Ti OC Boost?

Hexalude

I currently use an MSI N480GTX-M2D15 overclocked with an after market cooler and it has served me well for several years now. I have been considering upgrading of late and the Asus GTX650TIB-DC2OC-2GD5 2GB GTX 650TI BOOST EDITION cuaght my eye, as it is within my price range as I have found one on salefor $195 (I only ever buy NVIDIA).

Links:

GTX 650Ti OC    http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX650TIBDC2OC2GD5/#overview

GTX 480   http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N480GTX-M2D15.html

I have looked over the specs of both cards and I have had a hard time interperating how much better the 650TI is over my current card. Especially when view at sites such as http://www.hwcompare.com/

Can anyone provide advice on whether this is a worthwhile and cost effective upgrade?

Thanks

Edited by Hexalude

Not sure that's going to be much of an upgrade. As far as I can tell, those two cards are roughly equivalent. If it were me I'd try to go up to a 660 to really make it worth the effort and cost of upgrading.

Not sure that's going to be much of an upgrade. As far as I can tell, those two cards are roughly equivalent. If it were me I'd try to go up to a 660 to really make it worth the effort and cost of upgrading.

Yeah, aside from the fact the 480 is VERY power hungry they are pretty simular.

My wife has an old GTX 260 in her PC. I am sure the 650Ti Boost OC would be an excellent replacment for that.

Edited by Hexalude

the gtx 480 (800 core, 2000 memory) is the same as a 7870myst (oc 10%) or gtx 660ti (oc 10%) in terms of performance, so it would be quite a downgrade tbh.

for that gtx 260 however, it would be a decent upgrade at best, you could better save up some money and go for a higher performance card like the gtx 760 or 7950.

Edited by WarWeeny

Not sure how noisy the MSI GTX 480 is, but mine was obnoxious.  Even though brute horsepower might be an equal trade off (or even slight performance degradation) power draw, heat and noise should be a slam dunk win for the 650Ti.

With that being said, you might consider saving just a little longer and making the jump to a GTX 660Ti or GTX 760.  Then you would get every thing you wanted and more.

Not sure how noisy the MSI GTX 480 is, but mine was obnoxious.  Even though brute horsepower might be an equal trade off (or even slight performance degradation) power draw, heat and noise should be a slam dunk win for the 650Ti.

With that being said, you might consider saving just a little longer and making the jump to a GTX 660Ti or GTX 760.  Then you would get every thing you wanted and more.

Yeah, mine sounded like an F-111 taking off and it still ran hot, hence me fitted an after maket 3 x large dia fan cooler which made all the difference in the world on both fronts. I decided to go with GIGABYTE GV-N660OC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 2GB that I picked up for $19 more. I'll use it  to replace the 260.

Edited by Hexalude

90c is enough to make water steam and 100c will boil it in certain conditions. so in theory you could cook eggs,

If you look at the Two from a GPU specification standpoint then yes in the aspect of processing power according to the specifications its better.

The 480 in at a 448 cuda cores, 607 GPU clock, 1215 proc clock and Texture fill rate of 34.0 Billion/sec.

while the 650 at 768 cuda cores, 928Mhz base clock and a TFR of 59.2 billion/sec.

The memory of the 480 has a slightly larger quantity, Faster Bandwidth and larger interface chips.

Honest to god its a Trade off. but what performs better in game? Using Firestrike from 3dmark as a tool It seems the 650 TI roflstomps it pretty good. lol.

So yes, Upgrade. SLI too if you want.

Well if you mount 3 against one gtx 480 then yes that is the case. Well the 480 does still beat it but not by much. So if you do not mind having a slight downgrade in raw performance then a 650 ti would be something that would assist in the logivity of your hearing ability and reduce your power bill. lol.

Edited by boinker
Dumb thumb