New build..... New Mobo

Unless you "need" hyper threading for something specific, just get a 3570K.  Ivy Bridge runs hot any way, and even hotter on a HT chip with HT enabled.

Saves you some money, less heat and the 3570K will overclock as well as the 3770K if you are going to stay with an air cooling solution.

not sure if I need....

but I do video rendering and lots and lots of photo rendering.......

for cooling it will be water cooled so that shouldn't be an issue either way...

water cooling is quieter than air too.....

(wevsspot... received PM...for some reason can't respond....  but I am all set... thanks!)

O&F....Just wondering what you decided on? I am in the same boat. e8400....DFI LP LT P35-T2R. I am ready to upgrade to an i7 very soon. I am an avid gamer and would like to play the new games in all their glory. The e8400 and DFI board have treated me very well all these years. Never had any issues with that setup. I am always reading the reviews on motherboards at "The Egg" and have not found one that really shines out yet. A lot of the reviews I am reading on NewEgg say DOA.....DOA...DOA. An that is on all the brands  MSI, ASRock, ASUS, and Gigabyte. What happened to quality control at these company's?

Edited by ronbo191

I have to find a microcenter near me. The i7 at NewEgg has the Iron Egg guarantee so I should send them the link to microcenter and see if they will match their price?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501

I am also looking at the i5 3570. It got a lot of great reviews and it runs almost as fast but its $100 cheaper then the i7. I am only a gamer and do no multitasking or video rendering so I just might think about that 3570 a little bit more. And with the money saved I could put it towards a mean and powerful video card.... 

Edited by ronbo191

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the trigger

missed the mem promo but ordered

AsRock Z77 Extreme6

Gskill Ripjaw X Series 8GB 2400 Ram

and a XSPC Raystorm Waterblock

planning on heading over the microcenter for their deal on a 3770K CPU

already using a GTX660 GPU... so should be a nice set up!

Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have everything up and running!!

Zooom!

Couple minor hiccups in the switch.....

one strange one though....

Tried plugging my internal drives into the USB 3.0 headers

(Contrary to lots of reports I read, the install of the 3.0 drivers went fine)

ANd neither of my drives were even recognized (I know they are older and not 3.0 drives...but I thought they would at least be recognized)

But...My DVD drive, which also is Not 3.0 IS recognized.........

any ideas on that???

Also, up and over 4000 easily.... temps only in the 40's with my water setup with full load....

will let everything "break in" and then go from there.......