New To Forums. New To Overclocking.

Shiver

Hi. So Like I said. I'm new to the forums and I'm new to overclocking. I've tried before but I've always given up when the system crashed too many times or the results didn't seem worth it. So I was just wanting some tips on overclocking and any info about the limitations of my rig. I've been experimenting in Bios a little bit but lots in AMD Overdrive. Thanks

Rig Info with links on Newegg

ASUS GTX570 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432

SeaSonic 700W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151031

G.Skills Ripjaw 8GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

Cooler Master V8

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055

AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808

Also A full sized Antec case with 7 fans all together with adjustable speed.

Thanks For Any and All Help.

First, welcome to OCC! :)

If you are going to overclock, you generally want to avoid auto settings in the bios, this includes AMD Overdrive.

This is because the motherboard doesn't know a thing about voltages and can over-volt components while the components don't really need it.

If you are going to overclock multiple parts of your pc, i would suggest looking up some guides on the internet.

There are plenty of guides online that will cover your processor and gpu and you will learn a lot from it.

Welcome to OCC, as WW said manually oc'ing in bios is the best way, but amd od is all right to give you an idea of how high your system will go.Then you can go into the bios and and fine tune it like lower cpu voltage , raise multy ,etc. but as WW said auto oc'ing tend to raise voltages too much causing more heat which will harm the cpu over time.

Hi Shiver.  Welcome to our community.  We're glad to have you here.

In addition to the great advice already provided, I'd like to suggest that you focus on overclocking one part of your system at a time.

Example - concentrate on your CPU overclocking first.  Learn all you can about that, how to do it, how to monitor temperatures, safe voltages, necessary BIOS tweaks etc.

Once you've successfully overclocked your CPU and have validated that overclock through stress testing, then you can move on to overclocking your video card.  Most of the time video card overclocking is fairly straightforward as most all of the card vendor partners have released pretty decent gpu overclocking utilities.

As for overclocking your memory....  well there is a little bit to be gained by memory overclocking depending on what you're doing with your computer.  However, for the most part DDR3 1600Mhz speeds are more than adequate for just about anything.

I'd focus on multiplier first.  See how far you can go on stock voltage.  Once you start failing stress testing on stock voltage then you can start bumping cpu voltage.  Honestly, that's the easiest way to overclock your particular board and cpu.

Unless you're benchmarking or just want to set some personal best overclocking record, I wouldn't even mess with the base clock or many of the other settings.  Make sure you're running the latest BIOS, clear CMOS and load default values.

Change CPU multiplier one increment and begin stress testing.  Continue upping CPU multiplier until the rig won't pass stress tests, hard locks or BSODs.  Then bump cpu voltage by a notch and test some more.  Since you aren't messing with the base clock you won't have to worry about HT or memory speeds (just confirm that BIOS has detected correct memory speed, primary timings and ram voltage).  If not you may have to adjust those manually.

Memory speed, voltage and timings should be shown on a sticker attached to your memory modules.

• 2 weeks later...

So All of a sudden I'm running waaayyy hotter. I tried to reset everything to default and everything like that. but I'm still running hot...I'm guessing that while I was moving my computer the heatsink came off the processor just enough to create air bubbles in the thermal paste....the heatstink still feels attached really well and I know the fan is spinning...I also tried compressed air. What do you pros think?

oh an P.S. the changes are from idling at high 20's into high 30's and now when playing games it goes high 50's which is higher. Right now it's 40% load and it's 51*. I went ahead and clocked to 3.6 at 1.4 V after I had tried setting everything back to normal and got the same temps. 

Edited by Shiver

It'a possible you need to reapply the termal paste, which means removing the fan and heatsink, cleaning off the old paste and applying new paste, at least that's what I would try first. Then run it loaded at stock to see if your temps returned to normal.

By the way that cpu according to amd is safe till around 62c but the one I had would start acting up at around 59c.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

well I just ran Prime 95 and it heated up to 65 before I was able to shut it down. So that's a worrying sight. I'm really wondering what it could be that would cause this sudden change in the temp behavior. I just ordered some thermal paste from newegg so when that gets here I'll give it a go.

Ok. more testing, again. just to verify and let you know for info. 

I reset the motherboard back to defaults and all that jazz. so no overclock. then I turned all my case fans on high rather than low. a big audible difference. still idling at 31* which is higher than normal...

Also, according to Asus Cool&Quiet with my cpu frequency at 3600.00 mhz.  and the cpu voltage is 1.5020V.....even though i reset bios and it said it was all set to auto which is how I ran it for the longest time...any insight on this...it looks overclocked even after resetting...

Edited by Shiver

Just to be on the safe side did you set your biod to default settings on everything and if that don't work I would unplug it from the wall and pull out the cmos battery for about a minute or 2 just incase it's not going back to default by itself. By removing the battery it should reset the bios for sure.