Said good bye today to my Intel rig... :(

dr_bowtie

All the rigs here are AMD.... there is currently 10 in service...

dang doc, i just went amd and i'm not sorry but if i was gonna build a a dedicated intel test/gamer rig it would definitly be highend socket 2011,...though personally my experiences with gigabyte have not been great, so i would go with an asus/uefi republic of gamers board...

i thot alot about this very same thing and finally decided on the amd because of my current job/work and home circumstances rather than my "need for speed", ...but isn't "state of the art", bleeding edge" hardware pretty important as an occ staff and mod ?...

This post is something I would expect to see on someone's blog.  I sold my rig, whoa is me, feel sorry for me, now i need a replacment since I'm wading in cash!  PUNK!

So are you even going to be able to play Sins now or do you have to wait till you get a new rig?

I say wait till Haswell personally.  Ivy isn't much of an upgrade compared to Sandy and Haswell just a few months away. 

dang doc, i just went amd and i'm not sorry but if i was gonna build a a dedicated intel test/gamer rig it would definitly be highend socket 2011,...though personally my experiences with gigabyte have not been great, so i would go with an asus/uefi republic of gamers board...

i thot alot about this very same thing and finally decided on the amd because of my current job/work and home circumstances rather than my "need for speed", ...but isn't "state of the art", bleeding edge" hardware pretty important as an occ staff and mod ?...

Socket 2011 is a waste for anything other than a workstation... I have had good luck with gigabyte and havent had one for a while and its either that or a Asus Z77-V... State of the art hardware is a Reviewer specification... moderators can have anything and we usually have trailing edge rigs...LOL

@ Fogel.... I game mostly on my main rig....Sins already installed and waiting for your lame arse to join us :) Definitely trying to claim a little sympathy....you know its been like 4-5 years since I've built myself a rig I figure I'm due

Doc is totaly due a new rig! :)   Four or five tech years is like a century in human years.  And he is right, mods don't get anything special.  We are pretty much self funded so to speak.  Sandy versus Ivy versus Haswell......................  IMHO if you already have an i5 2500K or I7 2600K or above I can't find much justification in moving "up" or or over to Ivy.  Just doesn't make any sense to me.  To wait for Haswell might make sense, but for me a lot of that would depend on pricing.

Pretty sure Doc is waiting for the government to give him his refund for the orphanage, so timing might be ideal for comparing cost to performance benefits between IVY and Haswell.

Personally I've had better luck with Gigabtye than Asus lately.  But that is pretty much just luck of the draw.  If I were going to buy a Z77 board today, it would be either the GB Z77 UD5H or ASRock Z77 Overclock board.  All things considered, price, features, performance etc.

@ Fogel.... I game mostly on my main rig....Sins already installed and waiting for your lame arse to join us :) Definitely trying to claim a little sympathy....you know its been like 4-5 years since I've built myself a rig I figure I'm due

Ya you need a new rig.  Sound like me... waiting 5-7yrs for a new rig.  Though I may break the cycle and build a Haswell machine since I'm no longer liking the C2D/XP rig as my backup machine.

There have been a few people here with crappy luck on AsRock boards so I personally would be scared to try one out unless it was a must have deal.   I say Gigabyte or Asus.  My C2D rig is Gigabyte and Sandy is ASUS.  Neither are perfect.  The Gigabyte was less headache getting up to speed but the onboard sounds sucks balls ...mostly in Ventrilo oddly enough.  The ASUS had to be updated to suport my Sandforce SSD, but in fairness so did just about every board when Sandforce was new.   If funds are adequate I may try a Sabertooth/Haswell build, but I may go back to Gigabyte for price/performance ratio just to see how they behave now.

The Sins comments was definitely tongue in cheek since I know I dropped the ball on that one.  I don't log into OCC from home so it makes me lazy.  How often are you in Teamspeak?   This weekend might work if you leave a time here (this topic works) and if nothing else we can use that time to pick a time to play Sins.

I'd wait for Haswell too, but so far it would seem that most of the benefits of the different gens (Sandy to Ivy and then Haswell) are being placed in the mobile market with the better graphics and lesser wattage use. Desktop processors have thus far been less affected by the new features.

I agree with Fogel on the motherboards, I've personally liked my one Gigabyte I had FAR better than the host of ASUS boards I've owned not for quality but more for the Gigabyte just overclocked easier and the bios was much simpler to deal with. That being said, with nearly all new boards running a UEFI bios, it doesn't much matter. I've build other people's computers with Biostar (was tough to overclock, but still got a $60 x4 620 to 3.4ghz and the board was $60 itself), MSI (overclocked my friend's 2500K to 4.5ghz stupidly easy, and was the cheapest SLI capable P67 board out at the time), Sapphire (this would be a rarity, but my APU E-350 runs a Sapphire board and it's great), ECS (my grandma's E-350 system I bought...runs well enough but didn't have the bells and whistles as my Sapphire, and also seems a little slower all things considered) and AsRock (I think this was a Phenom X6 machine I built one with, and it had a very friendly overclocking bios and was very sturdy).

^Long story short, I think pretty much any board will serve you well lol. I think the sweet spot for best performance per price is the AsRock Extremes though

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Socket 2011 is a waste for anything other than a workstation... I have had good luck with gigabyte and havent had one for a while and its either that or a Asus Z77-V... State of the art hardware is a Reviewer specification... moderators can have anything and we usually have trailing edge rigs...LOL

@ Fogel.... I game mostly on my main rig....Sins already installed and waiting for your lame arse to join us :) Definitely trying to claim a little sympathy....you know its been like 4-5 years since I've built myself a rig I figure I'm due

dang doc, I wasn't trying to rub you wrong, sorry if I did,...my p55ud5 sct 1156 only had 2 out of 4 working memory slots even after rma...service didn't fix the problem...and yea you're right 2011 is pretty much for dedicated usage, not to mention expensive,...thank you for the paradigm shift on staff needs...