MMO games stutter really bad in big populated areas

RichAC

So installed Tera Online,  which is free to play now.  A game that came out in 2012 already f2p?

But guess what,  it runs fkn great on my machine compared to these older MMO's.    I mean i sometimes get low fps with alot of players and mobs on my screen.   But i don't get any hitching.   Loading new areas is seamless...so far.

I haven't gone to the main city of the game yet that will be the true test.   But not only does it run better then all the other free mmo's.   It looks better too.

The only dissapointing thing is...it feels like a kids game haha.   I mean i'm not a big fan of the japanese animations in games....The game is the corniest mmo I've ever played.   The action is cool cause its arcade like,   and not the typical auto target mmo,  you actually have to aim and click keyboard buttons to fight.  So it takes skill.    But there is absolutely no story,    and not only does it look like a kids game....the community is filled with kids too.

but at least its a game optimized for newer sysytems and its free so i'll try to get into it.   I think its safe to say i can buy guild wars 2 though, and assume its also optimized for the newer machines and i prolly won't have extreme hitching problems in that game either :)   My suspicions that those other games are programmed horribly  and don't work well with the newer tech, like my phenom processor and maybe bios,  albeit is on the lower end,  i think are confirmed.

Edited by RichAC

Sorry for posting so much in this thread. but

Dear Diary:

it appears i was a little tricked by tera online. It appears i'm capped at 30fps! haha I tried lowering my settings today after playing unreal, felt like checking out the fps in tera. even on the lowest settings and lowerst resolutions. I still get only 30 fps. which i also get on the highest resolutions at high settings....HAHAHA

Apparenlty, and this is what it boils down to, tera only uses 2 of my 4 cores. and 50% of my gpu. I can't even overide this by making an application setting in amd catalyst. its mind boggling. there are some tweaks for their ini files i have to look into more. but wow. I think this is how the developer deals with the stutter problem that plagues all the other mmos.

And not only do i get 30 fps everywhere. But when i go into an area with tons of other players or npcs.... they load up gradually. half of them will load up, but then alot of the players will be grey bodies until they fully load up. Its a little weird but i guess not so bad.    Also the view distance,  even on the highest settings...is not that far at all.......

So apparently it still has a crappy engine that won't use more then 2 cpu cores, which of course is going to favor intel over amd, and I guess these are the tricks the developer is using to mitigate the problems.  I didn't check but i bet the game is not runnable on their minimum requirements for most peoples standards. 

I admit getting 30 constant fps at high settings and highest resolution aint so bad. its better then getting cpu spikes and stuttering and hitching all over the dam place in these other mmos.     where i have to lower the graphics settings so my cpu and gpu don't fry, with no fps gain......haha.

But its still a little discerning. the fact that unless you have two fast intel cores prolly 4ghz your not gonna get good frames. and they also cap people at 80 fps. i guess the crossfire peeps. those with the fastest processor cores who manage to get crossfire working(i read most peole can't)  will never get more then 80 fps. Again i say pc gaming is going downhill...

No wonder WoW is still considered the only mmo. No wonder this game is going fully free to play after only 9 months since release. not only, just like all the other dying mmos is it not optimized for the newer hardware. The cartoony graphics, unappealing storyline, and lame community kill this game. The pvp is even bonkers. I joined a pvp server, only to find out there is no factions? everyone just ganks everyone like one big free for all hahaha.   I guess you have to zerg in a guild.   It doesn't even matter if your flagged or not haha.   High lv players can flag themselvs and gank the lowest levels with one hit hahah.   Its crazy man.

there is no such thing as a good mmo. There is only WoW.   It must be a conspiracy :)

Edited by RichAC

Dear Diary:

I'm thinking now maybe  I do have a ram problem. I was thinking of maybe getting 8gb ddr3 1600 to replace my 6 gb 1066. what do you guys think? I know it won't do anything for fps. but what about load times?

I feel like restarting my pc helps with my performance, especially in games. Since I feel like my pc gets sluggish after its on for a while, maybe that means i have ram issues like some posters suggested? Dell gave me some real generic looking ram. and they are not same brand and sizes.  maybe that might make a diff.

I figure if i see no change in my performance at all I can just return it for my money back. But i think like some of the posters suggested its worth testing out even though memtest shows no erros.   I mean i get no bsod's at all on this system,  but maybe its still sketchy.

I'm really doubting hdd or gpu now after playing crysis 3. Beacause in crysis 3 to my amazement, the hdd is constantly caching while i'm playing the game. It never stops! Even if i'm playing for hours. It did freeze on me once I had to end task.. but haven't crashed again since i put water, shadows and shader, and blur, to low.  i make sure fan is manually at 40% and kept everything else on medium what it defaults me at. high texture res,  16x af,    playing at 1080 avgn 45-50 fps. which i think is great for my crap cpu.  which is what i get on bf3 on high settings.

But i think the diff with crysis 3. Is that crysis 3 maxes out my vram and 5870 gpu usage is 80-100 percent. Bf3 only gets to a little over 800 mb and is only like 75 percent usage max. and these mmo games barely use the vram, or gpu at all. they more like 300mb and 35% gpu use lol. They are all cpu and the gpu is meaningless. crappy coding.   But then again crysis 2 only has 16 players.....

But i'm assuming the less vram these games use the more system ram it will use? and maybe loading from the hdd to the system ram is way slower then to the vram.  Its just another example of why cpus should be obsolete in the future,  and supporting intel is supporting the stalling of our evolution.  That gpu box  is the future pc box.   I'm still going on wild goose chases here but I haven't given up yet.... I got bad chatlag today in bf3 and its pissing me off. Hoping the ram helps. If not i just have to assume its my cpu or bios and nothing i can do about it in the near future.

Edited by RichAC