Do you use a UPS?

neddamttocs

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a UPS?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Please leave a comment)

Sorry about the late Poll this week.

This week on OCC Poll we want to know if you use a UPS with any of your equipment?

Let us know on OCC Poll

I have an older small ups brick that would kill itself trying to empower my system. So the WiFi and networking gear is on the ups side and the surge only is for the rest. 

My DSL modem and one of my office computers are connected to a UPS, but my rig is not.

At least my Wi-Fi works when the power goes out, assuming the telephone pole isn't down as well... :P

Edited by Andrewr05

I have run a Tripp Lite 2200VA for about 9 years and have only replaced the battery once. Everything is on it except my printer. I also added my DTV DVR and my LG LED TV as the added power requirement was minimal. I am kind of lucky though, my UPS was left over from a business I closed down so my cost was low. Original investment was around $900.

I've got two 1300VA UPSs UPSes UPSeses...yeah whatever...One for my main rig only, one for my server and one of the places I hook up desktops I'm doing repair work on.  Then I have an older 550VA with an "office" computer of sorts and the router/modem attached.  The secondary main rig is on a 770VA UPS that I got for free still NIB.  I will say the i7-4930K based rig was plugged into the 770VA one once.  It started flashing and freaking out about "120% Overload" :lol: woops. 

In total I've got around $200 in all four of them so it was a no brainer for me.  I get between 6 mins and an hour off the setups for battery run time, but more importantly at the secondary rig's house it's wired TERRIBLE so any time something like an AC unit, Furnace, toaster oven gets turned on there's a power fluctuation and most of the time that UPS swaps over to battery for a second.  Here at home I just live out in semi nowhere so hardly any power lines are under ground and there are MANY things that cause short term outages.  Nothing everyday or week, but once or even twice a month isn't that uncommon.  

Cchalogamer, that is initially why I bought my UPS.

Every time a high-draw appliance (especially the laser printer on the same circuit) was used my DSL modem would lose connection, I figured an 'el-cheapo' $70 UPS is much cheaper than actually fixing the problem.

:rofl:

Yeah in defense of my lazy at least the house it happens to me in is a rental with a landlord who will only fix things after they 100% break.  Someone had to literally fall through both the deck AND bathroom floor for him to fix the issues with them.  Actually here's a pic of the breaker box for this house I took months ago (it also has two fuse boxes and who knows what else scattered about)

261hqg5.jpg

In the last year TWO breakers have welded themselves to to panel and his "electrician" who he gets to do cheap work will come by, pry it out with a screwdriver and hammer a new one in a week later when he special orders one.  Why does he have to special order you ask? Because this design was deemed unsafe and is recommended to be replaced due to the fire hazard they cause because the don't trip most of the time when overloaded leading many times to fire or the best one death.  This breaker box is thankfully outside in a carport attached to a brick wall, but the wiring in the house is a total mixed bag and it's only a matter of time until someone overloads a circuit and one of the old 1950s wiring gets hot enough to set something on fire.

No ups on my rig.  Had one but it couldn't keep up with the systems power requirements and the higher rated ones get really expensive.

I do use several though, 1 on my sat tv receiver and tv, 1 on my modem and router, and 3 more at work on my work PCs.

I've got one for my FTP and Vent server machine, but the gaming rig and htpc are both on regular surge protectors (some old Triplites that I scrounged from an office sale  :))

I had a fairly expensive one for my gaming rig, but it died when a .223 round accidently went through it..........  long story.........

I had a fairly expensive one for my gaming rig, but it died when a .223 round accidently went through it..........  long story.........

Oh I've got time to read it :) This sounds good (well terrible actually but whatever).