new home server.

Tjj226_Angel

First I want to say that I already have most of the parts like the case, ram, hard drive, PSU, and software. Right now I just need an i3 3225 CPU and a MSI mobo combo from microcenter.

I do have a couple of questions before I get too far ahead of myself. This server is not going to be a big one. The hard drive that I have is a laptop 5400 RPM drive that only holds 500 GB. I also have an agility 3 ssd with 60 GB. I know that the main C drive of the windows home server has to be large and fast, and I am wondering if I can't accomplish this by using intel SRT (the msi board is z77). I don't know if windows home server allows you to use SRT or not, but is it possible that it would just be better to use the 60GB SSD as the boot drive and the 500GB laptop drive as the storage drive? Or am I screwed all together and I should suck it up and get a proper full 1TB Hdd and a 120GB SSD.

Another thing I am looking at is using the linux server OS instead. I have heard great things about the linux server, however I would want to make sure I retain the ability to serve my files through the internet to essentially make a cloud based server.

Do any of you guys have any thoughts or opinions?

what is it you will be using the server for...?

In house stuff or to remote into from another location like an ftp?

Well definitely not remote into one of our PCs.

Let me try to explain this as best as I can, because I myself am not sure what to call it.

Right now, my family has 3 laptops and all of them use 120GB ssds. Which is a decent amount of space, but my mom is a professor with a lot of 1GB power point presentations, my sister has an ungodly amount of crap that she feels is important, and I have a lot of everything on my laptop.

Normally I would just store it on my hard drive and move on. But lately my 1TB hard drive has been getting a little too cramped with RAW format pictures and .flac music to simply store other peoples files.

My end goal is to have a sever that can essentially do it all. Back ups, shared wireless drive so that we don't run out of ssd space, and still run as an OS that can web surf and run open office or something like that (this will be replacing out 12 year old PC (((believe it or not, but I surprised my mom with an i7 rig to replace the family computer and she thought it looked too big and scary, so I sold it for a profit and she told me that as long as I build something that doesn't look scary, we could use it........ :pfp: ))) )

Now, as for the "remote in" part, I do want to be able to get files off the server from school or something, but I do not want to like remote into my main desktop. One of my friends will have a field day with hacking my PC if I do that. But if my mom is missing a power point presentation or something, I want her to be able to get into the server and download the file.

Hopefully that makes sense. To be honest I am kind of rushing into this because I just recently learned how bad the rest of my family is at managing their data. After a few hours on the phone with my mom trying to help her find a missing power point presentation QUICKLY let me know that I needed a real solution for this problem if you catch my drift. :lol: So forgive my noobness.

thats a pretty simple deal....

you wont need much by the way of CPU or motherboard.... a cheap dual core or quad core will work. You want to go with as much ram as you can mainly 4gb-8gb as in this kind of situation a lot of info will cache into the ram. You also want Gigabit Intranet. Mean all the PCs should be either hooked into a Gigabit router or a Gigabit switch off the router. That will make file transfers as fast as teh drive they will be stored to.

Next just make a regular rig and load Window7 on it with a User Name and Password and just Share the drive on the rig. Share it with FULL permissions as in Read, Write etc.

On the other rigs just Map the Shared Network drive and it will show up under Computer as a Mapped drive.

very simple yet effective. for out of the house stuff you can either set the rig up for outside sharing over IP or use 3rd party software.... you will be limited by your upload connection speed.

I have a rig as a server that just as a wired connection and No monitor or keyboard or mouse. you turn it on and then if you need something you access it via Remote Desktop....

This can be done very easy by any old rig... I use window 7 just simply as every rig we have uses win7 and it is very easy to get them to see one another... make sense?

thats a pretty simple deal....

you wont need much by the way of CPU or motherboard.... a cheap dual core or quad core will work. You want to go with as much ram as you can mainly 4gb-8gb as in this kind of situation a lot of info will cache into the ram. You also want Gigabit Intranet. Mean all the PCs should be either hooked into a Gigabit router or a Gigabit switch off the router. That will make file transfers as fast as teh drive they will be stored to.

Next just make a regular rig and load Window7 on it with a User Name and Password and just Share the drive on the rig. Share it with FULL permissions as in Read, Write etc.

On the other rigs just Map the Shared Network drive and it will show up under Computer as a Mapped drive.

very simple yet effective. for out of the house stuff you can either set the rig up for outside sharing over IP or use 3rd party software.... you will be limited by your upload connection speed.

I have a rig as a server that just as a wired connection and No monitor or keyboard or mouse. you turn it on and then if you need something you access it via Remote Desktop....

This can be done very easy by any old rig... I use window 7 just simply as every rig we have uses win7 and it is very easy to get them to see one another... make sense?

Makes sense. The only sad thing is that our upload speed is 0.7Mbps. Hopefully there won't be a data emergency :teehee:

Makes sense. The only sad thing is that our upload speed is 0.7Mbps. Hopefully there won't be a data emergency :teehee:

Hmm transferring a 1gb ppt file quickly is not going to happen then :P Have you considered any online backup solutions? They can be a little pricey for more space, but if you need to get something in a hurry that's probably the best method.

Otherwise, just do what the doctor ordered!

yep at that upload speed a 1gb file would take roughly 1 hour to download from your server to your location... maybe less and probably more realistic like 45 minutes. It would be worth trying though just for giggles... in house speed on a Gigabit intranet would be like 20 seconds to move the same file

Ouch.... well catch some holiday sales and snag a 1tb drive or a couple of them if you can.... tell mom she owes you ;)

Yeah. Let me ask you this to try and compensate.

Right now my friend is selling his 3930K and mobo for fairly cheap. If I sell my motherboard and CPU, it should be a trade off essentially. That would leave me open to buy a 3TB drive or something of that nature.

Can I run a windows 7 in a virtual machine off of the 60GB ssd and leave a fair amount of resources to it such as two cores/4 threads, 8GB of memory, and of course the 3TB drive.

That way I could avoid having to buy a new PSU, mobo, cpu and I would only have to get the hard drive (in principal).

What are your thoughts about that?

sounds like too much work....

if you plan to get/rebuild your rig no need to set up a virtual machine.... just make a folder and share it and map that drive...

the thing about that is you MUST have a password to log into your rig when you fire it up....as when you share the drive and locate it on another machine on your network it will initially ask for a User Name and poassword which you can select to save or enter on every access....