Media Server and/or HTPC build

tbris84

Sorry for intervening here since this thread is primarely about hardware. I was just wondering what software you guys use? I've been contemplating on making a HTPC as well for movies and such. For that I was planning to use linux with XMBC. Any experience with XMBC?

XBMC is awesome. Are you also going to connect a tv tuner or just play stuff off the hdd?

Software wise on HTPC side. I use SABnzbd+ (requires UseNet) on my server to organize media, if something slips through then I use theRenamer (completely free). You can configure theRenamer to handle the renaming and relocation of movies and TV shows (Drag and Drop). There are alternatives to theRenamer, if you end up not liking it.

You can use something like UnPacker to monitor and auto extract archives found in a folder.

I use XBMC for media playback, but find its side menus funky to use. You can control it using an iPhone/iPod or Android device via an App. If you have multiple streaming devices you can run a SQL server to keep the database in sync with all of them.

I use Plex Media Server for streaming to my tablet. You have to pay for the mobile app to use. It also has a media center application like XBMC, but I've never tried it.

PS3 Media Server is for streaming to my PS3.

UPDATE:

Steam (big picture mode worth a try) for light gaming, although I've never tried it yet on the HDTV.

I use a Nexus 7 tablet as a remote for XBMC and a Logitech K400 (wireless kb + trackpad) to control other functions. The Logitech K400 is cheaper at other stores. Don't get the K700 model as that one was decided specify for Logitech/Google enabled HDTVs. The majority of the special buttons will not work in Windows by default.

Edited by AZNguyen

Sorry for intervening here since this thread is primarely about hardware. I was just wondering what software you guys use? I've been contemplating on making a HTPC as well for movies and such. For that I was planning to use linux with XMBC. Any experience with XMBC?

I used XBMC for a couple weeks on my last PC. I didn't really get time to mess around with it, but I really liked the interface. I'm getting a SiliconDust HD Prime CableCard Tuner soon and I would like to get XBMC up and running with it. 

I use SABnzbd+ (requires UseNet) on my server to organize media, if something slips through then I use theRenamer (completely free). 

You should try Couchpotato and Sickbeard if you want everything automated (including downloading)