• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just for you! :)

PICTURE!!!

Turbo works no matter what the base clock is, the only requirement (on some boards) is that the multiplier is left at Auto

so it will exhibit it's turbo multi change as long as only one core is utilized and the multi is auto but only in some boards. This turbo function is mighty selectively confusing lol

Edited by IVIYTH0S

- SpeedStep (allows CPU to change multiplier and voltage dynamically) must be enabled

- C1E (allows CPU to drop multiplier and voltage) can be disabled, although there's no reason to disable it

And Turbo... Here's a slide from Intel that should help

post-31940-1253082581_thumb.png

So when the CPU is idle, C1E will fire and drop to ~1.2 GHz. When it figures out work needs to be done, Turbo comes into play, but there are some conditions.

To hit the maximum 27x multi in the screenshot, I had a single Prime95 instance running ==> Lightly threaded and below 95W TDP

The biggest limitation is staying below the TDP, hence why a heavily multithreaded load will force Turbo to back down to a 0-2x multiplier increase.

I see it as a guaranteed, safe and dynamic overclock that kicks in right when you need it, while also keeping heat in mind.

Turbo works no matter what the base clock is, the only requirement (on some boards) is that the multiplier is left at Auto

:blink: That seems like it could lead to stability issues on even a relatively modest overclock.

:blink: That seems like it could lead to stability issues on even a relatively modest overclock.

Not if you test how much VCore you need for the max clock it'll hit ;)

Anyways, I always disable it when overclocking, but the whole point was that there's no limit. It just works.