50 inch HDTV AS PC MONITOR

Greetings to the forum.

I am looking into a PC monitor upgrade and I am considering using a 50 inch HDTV.

I found this model LG 50 PA 5500, 1080p. 600hz, 1920 x 1080 res. Available at Kmart for $499.

The GPU that will be feeding it is a factory overclocked GTX 580 which has HDMI output in a
custom built rig 4 years ago with a stock QX9770 Yorkie.  Current monitor is a 27 inch Dell.

The idea is to move my rig into the living room and consolidate my gaming ( Flight simming,

Dirt 3, Formula 1 etc)  and my home entertainment system through one big screen.

I will be sat about 8 ft away and using wireless mouse & keyboard off the coffe table.

Any thoughts or advice on this before I shell out my hard earned.

Thanks, Buster.

I've got the LG 60PA6500.  A great TV for the price.  The nice thing is that IR is minimal on this set, and the built in screen wash does a great job of cleaning up any IR that might be left over after some extended gaming with static images.

There is also an "orbiter" function that jiggles the image (inperceptible) to help reduce the incidence/risk of IR.  While I wouldn't recommend the set for fast paced FPS type gaming (input lag and some ghosting) - it should be fine for the three games you mentioned in your post.

But beyond the gaming requirements, it is a great TV for movies, Netflix, cable broadcast etc.  Especially considering the price point.

If you end up getting the unit, holler at me and I've got some initial display settings you can use after you get the burn in done.  A good burn in is critical with a plasma TV.

Wevsspot, Thanks for the reply, Im looking at that model too, have you tried connecting your PC to it ? how does it look ?

I measured up my living roon earlier and I will be sitting 11ft away from the screen.

The 600hz refresh rate got my attention so I thought it might be OK for fast gaming like Dirt 3 & F1.

Thanks, Buster.

I don't have any experience with that particular set but I do have a 60PS11 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005095) that is connected to my HTPC.  Plasmas have excellent response times and very low motion blur.

You don't want to sit too close to it though - the screen door effect is fairly noticeable.

I run a LG 50" HDTV on one of my gaming rigs and a LG 37" HDTV on a second one, and they work vary well @ 1080P. You will need to upgrade the speakers or use headphones, I use the headphone jack with self powered 110V  5.1 surround sound Corsair set up.  

I run a LG 50" HDTV on one of my gaming rigs and a LG 37" HDTV on a second one, and they work vary well @ 1080P. You will need to upgrade the speakers or use headphones, I use the headphone jack with self powered 110V  5.1 surround sound Corsair set up.  

I've got my HTPC hooked up to it.  Looks fantastic.  Be advised though that picture settings will need to be tweaked out of the box.  Once you power it up for the first time you'll be "under-whelmed".  But once the picture settings are adjusted... bingo.

Be aware that the picture won't start to "pop" until you're able to tweak the brightness and contrast settings after the burn in period.  Out of the box the picture is very dark and colors are off just a little bit.  Also be aware that this is a very glossy screen with little in the way of glare reduction.

I do enjoy the Intel Video WiDi on my laptop. I project it to my 72" HDTV by using a Belkin ScreenCast TV Adapter for the Intel wireless display inside the laptop. This Adapter is basically a router and available on Amazon. Note that you must have Windows 7 in order to use the WiDi. Would love to talk more about this technology if anyone is interested.

• 2 months later...

Wevsspot, question for you, I decided to bite the bullet and I have just ordered the LG 50PN6500 from Amazon @ $599.

Whats this about burn in ?

And can you post your display settings ?

Thanks, Buster.

I've got the LG 60PA6500.  A great TV for the price.  The nice thing is that IR is minimal on this set, and the built in screen wash does a great job of cleaning up any IR that might be left over after some extended gaming with static images.

There is also an "orbiter" function that jiggles the image (inperceptible) to help reduce the incidence/risk of IR.  While I wouldn't recommend the set for fast paced FPS type gaming (input lag and some ghosting) - it should be fine for the three games you mentioned in your post.

But beyond the gaming requirements, it is a great TV for movies, Netflix, cable broadcast etc.  Especially considering the price point.

If you end up getting the unit, holler at me and I've got some initial display settings you can use after you get the burn in done.  A good burn in is critical with a plasma TV.

Wevsspot, question for you, I decided to bite the bullet and I have just ordered the LG 50PN6500 from Amazon @ $599.

Whats this about burn in ?

And can you post your display settings ?

Thanks, Buster.

for video games and movies its fine but a bad idea for reading or working on the internet.

just get a regular computer monitor and plug in your BIG TV with hdmi when u want to game