OCZ Vertex 3 or Intel 520?

HeyYoWL

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which SSD should I go for?

• OCZ Vertex 120 GB
    • Intel 520 120 GB

Hey guys, a local shop here is selling both of these drives, with the OCZ being $158 after tax + $20 MIR, coming to a final price of $138. The Intel is also on sale however for $179 after tax. Based on all this, what do you guys think I should go with? I've had no problems with the Vertex 3 60GB that I bought during the Christmas season so far, but there's always that worry about it because of the bad rep OCZ has had with SSDs. Intel has had a much more solid rep with SSDs but that's based on their 320's, and the 520 series uses the same Sandforce controller as the OCZ. Is the cost difference really worth it? What do you guys think?

I'd go with the Vertex 3 drives. Mine have been absolutely flawless and I don't think I'd pay extra just for the Intel name to be on them. They have similar flash and the same exact controller. The Intel firmware is slightly different but not by any real margin.

Either should be fine. The Intel firmware supposedly solved some BSOD issue but either then that, both are like brothers

The newest firmware from OCZ fixes that same problem.

You might want to go with the intel SSD. I know that they are close to being able to put intel SSDs in raid without having to loose your TRIM functionality.

If that doesn't strike your fancy, OCZ all the way.

My vertex just conked out after less than a year of use. System takes about 15 mins to POST with it inside >_<

Due to my experience I recommend not OCZ. :whistling:

........RMA it? Update firmware? Format it? Have you tried any of this?

Personally, I would go with the Intel 520, as I'm still wary of OCZ SSD's. OCZ always gets firmware updates more often then others from SandForce, but either their QA is pretty shoddy - or their upper management is dictating what gets released before thorough testing is done.

Hmm, $1.15 per gigabyte or $1.49 per gigabyte...................... I'm cheap - $1.15 per gigabyte still wins. OCZ has made great strides in the reliability and stability of their SSDs. Firmware updates are frequent although I'll admit the finished product seems immature at times. He is talking about a Vertex model and not one of the lesser but almost equal variants.

Local shop = probably easily to return if he gets a dud so I don't really see the justification in spending the extra green on the Intel unit.