EVE Online Battle Causes $300K USD in Damages!

ClayMeow

Not sure if we have any EVE Online players here at OCC, but the battle that occurred this week has been plastered all over the news.

If you're not aware of what happened, read this!

That's why I don't spend real money in games.

Nobody talks about real-world money losses. EVE has an in-game gametime payment option called PLEX (pilot license extension). Prices on those fluctuate but 1 PLEX is always equal to i believe 15$ (or subscription month). Therefore it is quite easy to translate in-game currency losses into real-world money. Let's say if 1 PLEX costs 450 million ISK on the market and i lost a 900 million ship then i could say i've lost 30$ (but not necessarily 30$ that i invested into the game). Some can make billions a day in in-game currency thus eliminating the need for ANY real world money investments (EVEN SUBSCRIPTION).

So, when they say 300.000$ they mean that 100 titans @ 3000$ each was destroyed in that battle. 

I hope that's what you meant :P I myself am very opposed to throwing money into games even though i can afford it. I always felt like flying a billion fitted ship is more fun if i spent time farming ISK for it or building it myself :P

Edited by Neebitemnemo
  • Like 1

I played it quite a bit for a while... i am not so sure that its not an inhouse thing that happens... I know how the PLEX thing works and a lot of people farm with titans and big mining ships for ISK to get plex so they can play for free... once or twice a year they would have so called villans go titan busting and kill everyone even your pods...I almost got cause in one of those farms but luckily made it out but i havent played much since... gave my account to a friend...

Yeah, as I said in the post, the economy is actually affected by a lot of factors and part of that is indeed time investment. While I'm sure there are several people that do spend real money in EVE, it's more about the time invested - as CCP stated, Titans take thousands of man hours to make. That may include the hours needed to mine the resources necessary to craft such a ship as well, but not sure - CCP didn't really break it down. Either way, it's a lot.

It's one of the things that attracts people to the game - the market isn't dictated by CCP, it's molded based on player activity and CCP does very little to regulate it aside from not allowing conversion back to real money.

yeah it is a huge process... the skill tree is very massive and  very forked... it does take thousands of hours to get into a titan. took me close to a year to get close

That game is way bigger than most realize and way bigger than you can wrap your head around. i used EveMon that actually would set a skill tree based on a direction you plan to take and  training some skills would activate others that need to be trained before you could train others in rotation.

who ever thought up the skill tree in my mind was an utter genius... plus that doesnt include your person which you can set with implants that cost millions of isk in which case you later skill train cloning ability to train clones so if you go into uncharted territory or get snagged by pirates and they decide to not only blow up your ship but also your pod you dont lose out millions...

Concord patrols for these types of things but it does happen before Concord can get them. ingenious game really it is overwhelming...

This image gives you a good idea of the cost (and size) of the ships lost in the battle. And yes, some of those capital ship costs are in the billions of ISK.

And then this image shows the scope of the battle, with each orange or red square/dot representing a ship. So you don't see just the capital ships, but the frigates, destroyers, fighters, and anything else that was involved.

This image gives you a good idea of the cost (and size) of the ships lost in the battle. And yes, some of those capital ship costs are in the billions of ISK.

And then this image shows the scope of the battle, with each orange or red square/dot representing a ship. So you don't see just the capital ships, but the frigates, destroyers, fighters, and anything else that was involved.

Yeah, it's certainly all insanely impressive

Yeah, it's certainly all insanely impressive

+1....almost makes me wanna play....almost....