My experience at GDC 2013

ClayMeow

So last week I was in (mostly) sunny San Fran for GDC 2013! I'll be graduating in May with a Master's in Digital Game Design and Development, so I went to network.

It was a really cool experience. I spoke to people from 30 different companies and will now have to spend a lot of time emailing them all...thanking them, prodding them about jobs, etc. lol.

Wednesday night I went to the IGF (Independent Games Festival) Awards and GDC (Game Developers Choice) Awards. They were back-to-back and awesome. They were like the Golden Globes of gaming (I say that rather than Oscars because the front section of the hall was setup with round tables for each nominee so they can drink (and maybe eat?)). I literally had a center front row seat (right behind that nominee section). Andy Schatz, owner of Pocketwatch Games (designer of the upcoming game Monaco, winner of a 2010 IGF award), was the host for the IGF Awards, and Tim Schafer, president of Double Fine, was the host of the GDC Awards. Both were freaking hilarious.

I also attended five talks during my time there (all really good):

Designing Humor in Borderlands 2 - Gearbox Software

Building the Touchy-Feely World of Tearaway - Media Molecule

Of Choice and Breaking New Ground: Designing Mark of the Ninja - Klei Entertainment

Emotional Journey: BioWare's Methods to Bring Narrative into Levels - BioWare

Ten Principles for Good Level Design - Square Enix Montreal

All in all, it was a great experience, but I definitely have a lot of work ahead of me to break into the industry.

Since I attended on my own accord and not in any OCC capacity, I will not be writing up an article, but if anyone wants to know anything else, like what companies were there, what swag I got, what the talks were about, etc., just let me know.

(Thanks to Guest_Jim for suggesting I post about my experience)

Well I for one will miss you Andrew,...once you get hired on someplace and locked away in your coding dungeon we won't be seeing you anymore...so best wishes to ya,... you have worked your butt off to get this far, and deserve the very best the industry has to offer,... who ever picks you for their team will be getting a top gun for sure !!...

Okay first let me say I think it is awesome you got to go and are excited about this. Now however I must poke some fun...

Who did the breakout group on how to over hype your product prior to launch and cover your ass after lying to the consumers when you took their pre-order money and delivered a broke or game that is fundamentally different from what they were told they bought?

Okay first let me say I think it is awesome you got to go and are excited about this. Now however I must poke some fun...

Who did the breakout group on how to over hype your product prior to launch and cover your ass after lying to the consumers when you took their pre-order money and delivered a broke or game that is fundamentally different from what they were told they bought?

Isn't that more towards the marketing side of things, not development?

Well I for one will miss you Andrew,...once you get hired on someplace and locked away in your coding dungeon we won't be seeing you anymore...so best wishes to ya,... you have worked your butt off to get this far, and deserve the very best the industry has to offer,... who ever picks you for their team will be getting a top gun for sure !!...

Thanks for the kind words! I assure you that I will not be abandoning OCC. I worked professionally for 5+ years in between undergrad and grad and still visited OCC regularly (if not more than I do now. lol).

Well if it makes you feel better, after starting off the GDC awards with a little intro/spiel, Schafer then added, "I'm feeling good about this...already off to a smoother start than Sim City." :lol: