AMD Athlon II X4 620 CPU Tested

Nemo

The multiplier is locked so I somehow doubt you did this

M8, I s*** you not. I also thought I baught a locked CPU but to my surprise I noticed the words 'Able to Change Frequency: YES' in the System Information in BIOS, went into the strangely named overclock menu... and yes, Im able to change multiplier and all. If you knew me personaly you'd know that I never lie.

Anyways, I am planning to test the 620 on my M4N82 Deluxe just to see if its just that XFX board or what the hell it is that make it possible to do this. Ill also check all the numbers on the CPU, photograph it (though i dont have a good camera Ill do my best). So, will do a complete disassembly and rebuild of both server and workstation for today and tomorrow to satisfy the curiosity of mine... and probably yours too I guess.

The system is:

AMD Athlon II X4 [email protected] cooled by a stock Phenom II cooler - I baught the 620 from http://www.inet.se about two weeks ago along with some other stuff

XFX 750a w/1.5b BIOS - baught in feb. this year

4x2GB Corsair 800MHz XMS2 - baught at same time as the Athlon II

(discrete gfx is not in use. using onboard graphics instead)

HP SmartArray e200/128 with a bunch of nice disks clinged on to it.

Scythe Kamariki4 450W EPS PSU

will get back with some more info about the (I hope) luck overclocking the 620 on the m4n82 deluxe.

**EDIT**

Got hold of a good camera and I will also test it on my other XFX board (a 8300 mATX with bios 1.6)

**EDIT 2**

XFX nforce 750a AMD SOCKET AM2+ DDR2 (housing a Athlon II X4 [email protected] using multiplier overclock)

Product Code: MD-A72P-7509

Flashed with BIOS 1.5b

XFX GeForce 8300 AMD SOCKET 940 DDR2 (housing a Sempron [email protected] using multiplier overclock cooled by the 620 stock cooler)

Product Code: MI-A78U-8309

Flashed with BIOS 1.6

**EDIT 3**

Heres a link to my facebook album with pics taken yesterday (the date on the camera is set a little bit wrong by the owner i guess hahaha)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3132...mp;l=5b3322632f

The only modification i did to the pictures was to resize them abit... they were so to speak, quite big.

Will add some movies and also more pics later, should you request it.

//Regards Leif Hallberg

projectOHLO

Edited by ninnuam

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a killer CPU for Overclocking! Not for the fact that you can clock its balls off, but for the fact that you can clock it's balls off easy! I dropped it into my system, cranked up the FSB by 25% to 250Mhz and BAM! For the money there is nothing better in my mind. I've seen people unlocking Phenom II x2 and x3 chips, but it's not a 100% that you can and or if it will be stable once you do. Buy this chip and an AM3 Mobo with the best memory you can afford, then in a year or so you can get a Phenom II x4 for that Mobo and RAM and Save Money as the Phinam II's will drop more then $100. This is a perfect first AM3 chip.

Here are gold specs for a stable OC with this chip.

FSB to 250 from 200

NB and SB = 8x

Memory at 6.66x. I'm running PC12800 1,600Mhz, but if you have PC10666 or are using an AM2+ board with DDR2, look at 4x.

FSB=250

CPU=13x250=3,250Mhz

NB and SB=8x250=2,000Mhz Stock is stable

Memory=6.66x250=1,666Mhz

Good luck and have fun

I am gonna buy this processor and I only have one qestion:

is MB SAM3 A770 Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, PCIe/DDR3/SATA2/GLAN/7.1 good enough for it?

I want to make it work @3ghz by overclocking fsb since the multiplier is locked

any suggestion for motherboard would be great from you guys!

thanks!

Edited by sinvelikogmajstora

I am gonna buy this processor and I only have one qestion:

is MB SAM3 A770 Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, PCIe/DDR3/SATA2/GLAN/7.1 good enough for it?

I want to make it work @3ghz by overclocking fsb since the multiplier is locked

any suggestion for motherboard would be great from you guys!

thanks!

should be just fine, I heard that those new 770 chipsets are suprisingly good for the $$. Just get 1600mhz memory for the extra OC'n headroom