Tired of trends and bandwagons...

That_Guy

A little venting out is going to be done below.

Ok so looks like gay marriage support/opposition is the new black. Or at least thats what my Facebook says. Now, the real question is - do they REALLY care? I mean - i watched so many bandwagons come and go  without actually changing anything, its not even amusing anymore. Kony2012, Thatchicthatkilledherself, School shootouts and now gay marriages. I watch people who post breakfasts and drunk pictures on daily basis start caring about those thing for a week or two (or three, depending on for how long our fair and honest press can stretch it) and then... just forgetting about it. Its really amusing. Even funnier - when i try to tell them that they dont actually care about it and just being a part of a wave infuriates them! I am being called heartless and cruel (while i prefer honest, of course). Thus, i decided to speak out here, and maybe start a new trend - ANTI-TRENDING. Seriously, that stuff has to go. We should let people know that they dont care (or, if you ask me, convince them to try and see into the root of the problem, not just enjoy being a part of hype about it)! Be honest to others and yourself!

All that said, i really would love to hear your thoughts. Do you think those trends actually change anything? Or they're just being a huge annoyance for everyone for a week or two...

By the way, loved how Kony 2012 campaign ended.

• Jason Russell, co-founder of the charity Invisible Children, is being held in a psychiatric ward 
  • He was reported to be masturbating in public and running through the streets wearing only his underwear
  • His wife, Danica, has blamed his breakdown on the attention and personal criticism the YouTube film has generated 
  • The Ugandan government has released a YouTube response - dismissing the 'slick' video as giving a false impression of the country
Edited by Neebitemnemo

Just delete facebook. Not really sure why so many people feel the need to have it. I do not use it and find it amusing when people I know allow themselves to be drawn into it to the point that it causes drama in their own lives. Not that all trends originate on it but it sure does give them a big push.

• Like 1

I think the term "sheeple" is most appropriate in this situation.

Speaking honestly, there are communities like the OCC all over the internet, and millions of PC gamers, but I can't seem to find anyone in real life who shares my interests. 

Edit: I also don't have a facebook account.

Edited by Kuronin

Most people want to be a part of something. They want to BELONG.  Trends are a great way to do it.  Its so easy and people get noticed.  Hence the popularity of Online Social Networks.  The fastest, easiest, most painless way to BELONG.

I joined Facebook about two years ago at the behest of my friends and family... that episode lasted about two months then ended after I realized just how invasive Facebook can be.  Now it seems every site I visit wants a Facebook Log-In... whats up with that?

I think you have every right to be tired of Trends.....they seem to get shoved down our collective throats in an endless stream of Media Venues.

29x6s1g.png

I just thought that was funny.

I'd just like to point out that using social media is a way for corporate marketing departments to track consumer buying habits.

EDIT: I now realize that in saying that I sound like a hippy raving about the military-industial complex.

Edited by Kuronin
  • Like 1