Car Stereo Wiring Conundrum

SpeedCrazy

Speed, would be really helpful to know what type of vehicle you are installing into, and also what type of head unit you're installing.  But honestly if it's working ok per the instructions you received from your friend - I'm not sure what the problem is.

Nothing wrong with pairing the switched and full time 12v wires together.  The reasons most head units have both a switched and full time;

1. Switched wire - so your radio doesn't stay on when the ignition is turned off

2. Full time - to save radio presets and time

Sorry, i should have stated that at the beginning.

I'm installing it in a 85 Nissan 720 ST. The radio... i have no clue, its the stock radio out of a 91 toyota tacoma. The harness im splicing to looks like this:

sony2.gif

On mine 5 and 11 are hooked together and a single wire leaves from 5. And my yellow is apparently antenna power (number 20)... So that leaves me with 1 red wire and a ground out of the radio and 2 wires and a ground out of the dash.

I also don't have 13 and 19 as shown on that diagram.

And i would agree there is no problem, i just wanted to increase my knowledge, that is i would but i do actually have problem now.

So i had it working as stated but in order to do so i had bypassed a blown fuse, on the yellow wire, and once i got it working last night i picked up a new fuse to put one in. But when i put it in after work this morning the radio quit working, and it refuses to work even if i bypass it again. I don't think i screwed the radio as it worked right up until i cut the truck off to put the fuse in, so i hope i didn't screw something on the truck. I did check, all my fuses both inline and on the panel are good. And everything else on the dash works, including the cig lighter on the same relay.

Any ideas?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You always hook red to red,(constant, holds time and station presets, etc.) yellow to yellow (trigger from ignition) and of course black to black (ground).  If it still doesn't work, make sure you hook your antenna up too.  Several cars, including one of mine, that I've done installs on have grounded through the antenna.

You always hook red to red,(constant, holds time and station presets, etc.) yellow to yellow (trigger from ignition) and of course black to black (ground).  If it still doesn't work, make sure you hook your antenna up too.  Several cars, including one of mine, that I've done installs on have grounded through the antenna.

That's what i originally did. And the antenna does have a ground, but all the grounds are hooked up so that should not be a problem. As i said it did work...

A multimeter would make this much easier. :tongue:

Sophisticated tools? In this redneck's tool box? Who would dare suggest such a thing?

In all seriousness, i might have one in a box somewhere, probably not for these low power wires though.

Added info: I found a handful of wires stuffed behind the dash that might be related, no way of knowing. One is brown, one orange one black and one black with a red stripe. I think that's them all, if that sounds relevant let me know and i'l check.

Here's the factory wire colors for your truck....

Constant 12V+ = Red/Green
Switched 12V+ = Green/White
Ground Chassis
Illumination = White/Blue
Speakers:
Left Front (+) = Brown/White
Left Front (-) = Red/Blue
Right Front (+) = Black/White
Right Front (-) = Black/Red

I wired in a truck stereo without an OEM-to-aftermarket connector, with nothing but a simple OEM schematic printout, a multi tool and a roll of black tape.

Oh and the vehicle was moving too.  :teehee:

Just find the schematic, you cant go wrong from there.

Here's the factory wire colors for your truck....

Constant 12V+ = Red/Green

Switched 12V+ = Green/White

Ground Chassis

Illumination = White/Blue

Speakers:

Left Front (+) = Brown/White

Left Front (-) = Red/Blue

Right Front (+) = Black/White

Right Front (-) = Black/Red

Where did you find that? I would love to see that schematic. Those wires i found look like the speaker wires based on your info, but i have aftermarket speakers installed so those can be discarded, that leaves me with the three i already had. Thanks for solving that confusion.

I wired in a truck stereo without an OEM-to-aftermarket connector, with nothing but a simple OEM schematic printout, a multi tool and a roll of black tape.

Oh and the vehicle was moving too.  :teehee:

Just find the schematic, you cant go wrong from there.

Its finding that schematic... the ones in my manual(haynes) just shows that the wiring harness has a plug for the radio. Doesn't go into any more depth. And google is not proving helpful.