Near free upgrade to Ivy/Haswell from 2500K - Should I?

Since my 2500K is at the shop under warranty, I've been offered to upgrade it to an Ivy or Haswell equivalent at "difference cost" (Which means basically free Ivy upgrade) but I was wondering if it is even worth it?

I've read the heat issues with Haswell which worries me a little - I'm purely a gamer so Hyperthreading and such don't really apply at all to me.

My 2500K is basically running stock - I've allowed it to be automatically clocked up and down using the Intel Speedstep feature, but I haven't actually bothered to overclock it myself (even though I have a Thermalright 120 TRUE ... something something)

I have a 2500K and feel no need to upgrade.

Pissed off with Intel and their heat issues.  Ivy bridge was more power efficient, but they changed the thermal material for no reason I can tell except to make overclocking harder.

The benefit was minimal, and is so again with haswell.  I've come to realize this is a mobile chip they have shoehorned into a destop package.  It gets even hotter when overclocked and of course intel didn't fix the thermal material.

This is the kind of thing that has me look at AMD again.

Edited by PopcornMachine

That's not a bad "free" upgrade, if for no other reason than to get the latest generation processor..................

Since you haven't been overclocking, then heat shouldn't be any more of a concern than it was before.  Yes, Ivy and Haswell are hotter running chips - especially when you start overclocking them and putting more juice to the cores.  But core to core and clock to clock Ivy and Haswell are better performers and more efficient.

The primary reason for the temperature differences was Intel's decision to change the mfg. process as it concerns affixing the IHS to the die.  On the SB chips they used solder to create the thermal "joint" between the IHS and the core.  On Ivy and Haswell they went to a thermal paste (which based on some of the videos and pics I've seen of delidded 3770Ks - isn't the best stuff in the world).

I don't think I would pay new retail to jump from Sandy to Ivy or Haswell for a desktop PC, but if I were getting a good deal used or even better a "free" upgrade, I think that is a no-brainer.  Keep in mind that Haswell requires a new socket, hence a new motherboard - socket 1150.  But the SB and IB both use Socket 1155, so are interchangeable for the most part as long as you have a motherboard revision and BIOS that supports IB in addition to SB.

Yeah I do have an Ivy compatible Motherboard. Switched that one out last year in a similar situation (the free upgrade that is). Might just go for the Ivy then and save the trouble of a new socket. :)

As long as it's a 3570K or better, don't let them get you with the "equivalence" portion of the agreement and give you something lesser because it's literally equal with a 2500K and not its rightful successor.

Make sure your bios is updated!!

Cost and performance wise, I would go for the 3570K Ivy and keep your motherboard, it will be a nice upgrade,.. :cheers:

With the Haswell you can turn off the HyperThreading and knock 5c to 8c off your individual core temperatures at high overclocks, just to give you a idea about how fast the 4770K heats up using Aida64 StressTest & Prime 95 Blend.

At stock settings and 1600 MHz  temp mid-40c

4.5 GHZ / 1866 MHz @ 1.136V vCore   temp 67c

4.8 GHz / 2000 MHz @ 1.26V vCore      temp 80c                

5.0 GHz / 2400 MHz @ 1.472V vCore    temp mid-90c         

Edited by Braegnok

Are those temps under water and with HT off or on?

From what I've seen elsewhere and in limited testing with mine...magic fairy dust and unicorns. :lol:

They're SUPER low compared to everything I've seen even with unlidded chips.