Need some help

Yes I am running the system in that orientation. And the fans are pushing air up through the chassis, although I should switch it around so the top fan is pulling air in and the bottom fans are pulling air out.

When I first got this system in January and was testing this chip for overclocking, the max temp I reached while running OCCT was ~60* C with the TRUE and that was at 4.6Ghz with ~1.45v, this was too hot and to much voltage for my likings so I brought it down, When running with the Core Contact Freezer I had the system stable at 4.5Ghz at ~1.35v and max temp I would see was in the low to mid 50s. So that being said I am fairly certain that both coolers are more than sufficient to handle the cpu at stock settings. Just in case you wanted to know I am using AS5 for thermal paste.

I will re arrange my fans to allow for better flow, and my case only came with 1 hard drive cage and it has a fan in it.

All that being said I highly doubt that its an issue with airflow as the system was running just fine the way it was for almost 7 months. Something is wrong with the motherboard it runs super hot even with fans ziptied to the NB and VRMs. Newegg won't let me order more than 4 of those fans says insufficient stock :/

I already boxed up the motherboard to ship it back, I'm done dealing with it. 

So I took the board back out of the box to give it a good look over again, and I noticed what they "fixed" they put plastic washers between the pcb and the screws for the NB and VRM heatsink.....

Reading through reviews on Newegg I'm not the first person to get back a faulty board from RMA. And not the only one with this specific issue.

"Cons: Will burnt out under 5 years. Mine just burnt down (like many other story I've heard from Gigabyte horrible products). I sent it back for warranty, they holded it for 2 years they "repaired" it has they say and sent back that same freaking thing to me. They actually paid to repair a faulty board and send it back instead of replacing the porduct like all other companies."

"Cons: this is my third board. first 2 had to be rma'd. my current one RAID doesnt work. NIC isnt compatible with vista. Underclocks my FX-8350 on defaul BIOS settings. Rather than going through the RMA process again i would rather shoot this board with a shotgun then bury the remains."

Edited by slick2500

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Called up Gigabyte on Monday at ~4:15 PST and talked to a tech support guy, told him what it is doing and what I have tried to get to get it to work, after about 10 min he told me that he would talk to the RMA department and have them send me an RMA number and that it should only take like 15-20 min then they will e-mail it to me. Well it is now 8:20 PST on Wednesday and I am yet to receive and RMA number. I got tired of waiting and just went ahead and ordered an Asus Sabertooth board, it should be here either Friday or Saturday.

In the Gigabyte 990FXA Owners Club thread on a different forum the guys in there were all praising Gigabytes RMA service and tech support as being good and fast, in the past month that I have been dealing with this issue I am yet to see anything good or fast about it. This is by far the worst experience I have ever had with tech support from any company ever. This will also be the last time I buy a Gigabyte product.

That's unfortunate, I've only sent my board in once to Gigabyte and I seem to remember it being pleasant and relatively speedy.

Oh well, hopefully the ASUS will serve you well! I'd keep at the Gigabyte though so you could sell your old board to offset the cost of the new one

Welp got the Sabertooth in, decided a fresh install of Windows was needed, and I just upped the vcore to 1.475v and the nb voltage to 1.2v and this is what I booted up at. I highly doubt its stable at all. 

5.0.jpg

Edited by slick2500