Extreme Budget Build

ir_cow

So the in-laws computer is taking a dump they report that it blue screens 3-4 times a day. I can't get it to blue screen and I installed Win 7 and ran memtest86 + Prime95. Anyways the computer is from 2006 range. Intel Core 2 Duo E8300, 4GB of ram and I think a AMD 3850  (or close).  They just browse the web and play pop cap games all day.  Thats it, no movies, nothing, just web and web games.

what would be a good replacement? I was thinking like AMD FM2 and 8gb of ram. It has to be cheap because I buying it and they aren't playing me.

Any build ideas are welcome!

my fm2 choice has been very good to me hbc, and it certainly has some cheap options, but no room for growth...fm2+ is my reccomendation, (due to backward compatability), IF and only IF it can be done in a price range that will work for you...

oops i just read back so never mind...

• 1 month later...

I thought I would bring back this old thread with an update because I figured out what was causing the blue screen. 

So I was using the computer (the new build) this morning and than left it idle without putting it to sleep or off. A few hours later my mother-in-law comes out of the computers room and tells me the new computer is doing the blue screen again. I go check and find out the monitor went to sleep and instead of giving a black screen, it stays bright blue with "no signal" on the screen :wallbash: :wallbash: . I wiggle and mouse and of course it comes back to life. I could never figure out why the old computer was "blue screening" and they said it happened 3-4 times a day (Because it never did). I ran Prime95 and Memtest86 for hours without issues. I do think the power supply was going bad as it was reading 11.3v on the 12v at idle. I ended up selling that computer for $50 since I couldn't find a problem and didn't want to have someone complain to me later.

This isn't as bad as when once someone swore up and down the that got a Red BSOD and that's impossible. moral of the story is not to trust old people diagnostics. Show them a picture of what a BSOD really looks like before buying a new computer. :whistling:

I thought I would bring back this old thread with an update because I figured out what was causing the blue screen. 

So I was using the computer (the new build) this morning and than left it idle without putting it to sleep or off. A few hours later my mother-in-law comes out of the computers room and tells me the new computer is doing the blue screen again. I go check and find out the monitor went to sleep and instead of giving a black screen, it stays bright blue with "no signal" on the screen :wallbash: :wallbash: . I wiggle and mouse and of course it comes back to life. I could never figure out why the old computer was "blue screening" and they said it happened 3-4 times a day (Because it never did). I ran Prime95 and Memtest86 for hours without issues. I do think the power supply was going bad as it was reading 11.3v on the 12v at idle. I ended up selling that computer for $50 since I couldn't find a problem and didn't want to have someone complain to me later.

This isn't as bad as when once someone swore up and down the that got a Red BSOD and that's impossible. moral of the story is not to trust old people diagnostics. Show them a picture of what a BSOD really looks like before buying a new computer. :whistling:

Oh snap! Lesson learned I guess! Let me know if the PSU fixes it. 

I will never know if the PSU really did need to be replace since it sold/gone. But it wasn't crashing on me when I sold it. Well they get a brand new computer to last them another 7-10 years.