which type of mother board should i use for amd graphics

Having  done a bit more digging on Autodesk's site for Maya...it seems that if the system isn't on thier "certified" list then they can't offer program support, (or at least that's what is sounds like to me. The following is from thier site....

Certified Hardware

For the latest list of certified hardware, including graphics cards, to run Maya 2013, Refer to the Recommended Hardware wizard for a detailed list of recommended systems and graphics cards.

Note: Maya 2013 is also capable of running on other configurations such as boutique distributions of Linux. However, enumerating systems that are not tested and cannot be supported or that fall below the requirements for a productive user experience is beyond the scope of the online certification charts.

Autodesk reserves the right to alter product offerings and specifications at any time without notice, and is not responsible for typographical or graphical errors that may appear in this document.

Autodesk is not responsible for errors or failures of Autodesk software arising from the installation of updates, extensions or new releases issued by third party hardware or software vendors for the certified software or hardware identified in this document (or for any other third party software or hardware that you may use in connection with Autodesk products).

Yeah they are going to limit support to those "professional" cards. The shame is from a gaming view point and pure horsepower you do better with the consumer models which are essentially the same cards but have not been certified. Did an interview with the folks from AMD a while back talking about the difference between the Pro cards and the consumer cards.

Well thats great if he can afford a dual Xeon and quad Tesla./Quadro system then go for that.

He however specified a AMD system for rendering and some gaming.

Actually he specified an AMD video card not system and using your own push about high end if he needed the most bang and his budget allowed it the Extreme 6 Cores would give high levels of performance between faster processors, even better multi-thread handling and quad core memory plus the ability to have up to 64 Gigs of RAM to give even more boost if needed. You did stress his wanting HIGH END.

My push was high end, not high dollar. He has already stated that he looked into the Dual Xeon system and its more than he wanted to spend. I use the same softwares the OP uses as well as other heavily threaded software and the FX-8350 excels at it, and is budget friendly. It also makes a hell of a gaming CPU. 

You go ahead and keep being contrary and recommending a much more expensive ' supercomputer' if you like, but I work with this software and the 8350 on a daily basis and stick with my recommendation. 

Well thats great if he can afford a dual Xeon and quad Tesla./Quadro system then go for that.

He however specified a AMD system for rendering and some gaming.

Actually he specified an AMD video card not system and using your own push about high end if he needed the most bang and his budget allowed it the Extreme 6 Cores would give high levels of performance between faster processors, even better multi-thread handling and quad core memory plus the ability to have up to 64 Gigs of RAM to give even more boost if needed. You did stress his wanting HIGH END.

My push was high end, not high dollar. He has already stated that he looked into the Dual Xeon system and its more than he wanted to spend. I use the same softwares the OP uses as well as other heavily threaded software and the FX-8350 excels at it, and is budget friendly. It also makes a hell of a gaming CPU. 

You go ahead and keep being contrary and recommending a much more expensive ' supercomputer' if you like, but I work with this software and the 8350 on a daily basis and stick with my recommendation. 

I am not trying to be contrary, I am trying to point out your arguments make no sense. You snapped at my position that a high cost motherboard is not needed and referenced that he was looking for HIGH END. I was not disagreeing with the position of High End I was saying it did not need to be high cost but you snapped on that. Now you seem to be using my own position to snap on me again like it was the position you first pushed. Sorry it was what you snapped on.

Next you referenced that he said he was looking for an AMD system again this was not the case, he is looking for a system to use an AMD video card.

Dude I am not arguing your recommendations, I agree that the FX is a solid buy from a budget oriented view.

Edited by ComputerEd

I am not trying to be contrary, I am trying to point out your arguments make no sense. You snapped at my position that a high cost motherboard is not needed and referenced that he was looking for HIGH END. I was not disagreeing with the position of High End I was saying it did not need to be high cost but you snapped on that. Now you seem to be using my own position to snap on me again like it was the position you first pushed. Sorry it was what you snapped on.

Next you referenced that he said he was looking for an AMD system again this was not the case, he is looking for a system to use an AMD video card.

Dude I am not arguing your recommendations, I agree that the XF is a solid buy from a budget oriented view.

Did you get a bulk deal on the word "snapped" if thats "snapping on you" I think you are being a bit dramatic.

It is your argument that makes no sense. you went from a 970 chipset, to an Extreme edition system . Ignoring along the way that he does have a budget, The extreme setup is beyond what he wants to spend, and the comment by the OP that he looked at the UD7 and it "had what he was looking for" Not to mention that I have practical experience working with the software he uses, and the CPU/MB? I recommended. BTW I disagree with the use of the 970 chipset for a machine like this. The 990FX typically has a beefier NB/VRM heatsink setup than does the 970. 

If that is "snapping on you" I will try to be more caring and sensitive.

Okay guys, I appreciate you have a difference in opinion but can you please just move on, nobody want's to see a thread of arguments.

We're here to help other people with their builds, software and hardware issues, not to argue.  :(

• Like 1

Okay guys, I appreciate you have a difference in opinion but can you please just move on, nobody want's to see a thread of arguments.

We're here to help other people with their builds, software and hardware issues, not to argue.  :(

I approve this message and recommend that we all move on to a more productive effort in helping to answer the OPs original hardware questions.

Thanks guys.  I appreciate it.  

Still think I'd rather have an i7 3770K and a good Z77 board than even an eight core AMD processor   :)

But I'll tell you, it's hard to beat the price to performance ratio of that FX-8350 regardless of how you slice it up.

If I can add to what @wevsspot said, if you choose to go down the Intel line, an i7 would be essential in the heavily threaded workloads that come hand-in-hand with CAD suites, due to their HyperThreading technology (which allows two logical threads to run on one physical core). Core i3s and i5s do not support HyperThreading so I would not recommend them for a build designed for CAD. For this reason, you are looking at a motherboard with socket LGA1155.

For a high-end build, I would also agree with wevsspot's suggestion of a Z77 board, although there are obviously alternatives, something like a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH would suit you perfectly.

I would recommend using some decent branded RAM such as Corsair due to it's reliability and support. You don't need to go for the highest frequencies, as the difference between 1333MHz and 1600MHz for example is negligible

AMD's equivalent of the NVIDIA Quadro Series of graphics is AMD Radeon FireGL. This field of workstation graphics is not my strong point, so I'll leave you to 's suggestions in this field.

I hope this has cleared some things up for you

Best of luck with the build

- Euro