SSD choice?

Qu4k3r

Hi there,
I'd like to buy a ssd.

Size? 256, 250 or 240gb.

I really prefer 256gb to maximize capacity. Actually my main HD is 320gb and have only 46gb free, so I think 256gb would feel a little tight.

Budget? 150 to 180$

I was going to buy this one last week at 149.99$ but now that offer is over.
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB ................................................................. 174$

Other options:
SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD 256 GB .............................................................. 170$
Samsung MZ-7TD250BW 840 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) 250 GB ... 172$
Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 240 GB ............................................. 170$
Mushkin Chronos 240 GB ........................................................................ 170$
Kingston Digital 240GB SSDNow V300 ..................................................... 175$

I sorted them in capacity terms, my main concern.

What would be the best chioce in terms of performance?

Thanks in advance ;)

pd: If you can find other option at amazon in that range of price and capacity do not hesitate to let me know :)

Edited by Qu4k3r

I suppose the Samsung 840 for capacity/speed/price, though I'm sure you'd be just as happy with the SanDisk Ultra and have slightly more space for slightly cheaper. Your choice

In terms of speed, unless you plan to spend a lot of time benchmarking, you will likely see little difference. I have an Sandisk Ultra Plus and we have been very happy with it's performance. The Kingston V300 is a very solid SSD and I am looking at the Samsung myself right now.

First of all I'd like to thank for all your answers. I've read a lot of reviews of those models mentioned above. Most of them are focus on benchmarks that I don't really care. But there are a few with "real world tests" that I consider more important such as loading time for OS or programs. I also found that in some cases, some reviews favored certain models over others while others reviews do the opposite. However I can see they perform relatively similar, I mean the difference is not like day and night.

Said that, I think in terms of performance 3 runners up are...
Sandisk extreme 240gb > Samsung 840 250gb ? Sandisk ultra plus 256gb.

With a tight price variation, only 4$.

Considering that once having format the real capacity changes:
256gb become 238gb
250gb become 232gb
240gb become 223gb

I think I'll grab Sandisk ultra plus 256gb.-

Edited by Qu4k3r

Did you think about Samsung 840 pro series SSDs?

In my opinion, they are really good, and far better than normal 840 series non-pro SSDs.

:thumbsup:

Yes but my budget is very tight... up to 180$

Then check out the offers from different sellers on Crucial M4 256GB drive. I can see 2 sellers selling this within your budget. One of them being this: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-256GB-2-5-Inch-9-5mm-CT256M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL2A/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A9ITXTVFN3ADH

or You can always go for  Sandisk extreme 240GB  drive.

Edited by d6bmg

• 3 weeks later...

Im also thinking about getting a samsung 840

they are cheap and idk what OCZ is doing or if they went bankrupt

but Im not sure about the samsung controller, who makes this MDX? 

I thought Samsung was all in house. I have been using a few of the none Pro 840s around here and love them. Good price and solid performance. Also the software that Samsung provides for the care of their SSDs is the best out there.

It is labeled as in-house but is it really re-branded?

so many of the same controllers going around with different brands I just don't trust anyone anymore.

also companies like nvidia have made me very skeptical