BMW E30 Build (56k killer)

MJCRO

Here's the car I recently picked up for $1500 to be built/restored. Right now my brother is doing the work to clean up, replace, and fix whatever problems there are. Car sat for 12 years outside and overall has literally no rust since it never saw much salt. thumbsup3.gif Car was one owned by a priest before me and has all original 136k miles on the motor. Motor runs great, just a couple sensors needed to be replaced because it would run a little rough when warmed up. Great car overall though; it's also the fully loaded premium package they offered back in 1986 for this 325e with an on board computer that tells me temperature outside, MPG, speed, etc. Really cool car. Can't wait till it's on the road. smile.gif

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

Derp. hi.gif

IMG_1237.jpg

Edited by MJCRO

E30 = 1912-so-much-win.jpg

Whats going to be done to it? I think I remember you talking about an S52 swap or something?

Just what I'm aiming for if I get enough money. evilgrin.gif Right now, hoses, sensors, fluids are just being changed. The motor is in excellent condition, I just need to get it registered. teehee.gif

Also this one is automatic, I found out you can do a manual swap for less than $500 which I'll end up doing too if I get the new motor by the end of the year.

Edited by MJCRO

Excellent stuff here!

I used to have a 325es that was also purchased from the original owner a couple years back. Despite being a Chicago car he had always parked it in a garage and it was largely rust free.

The only two things I would be careful with are the O2 sensor in the midpipe, though it might not be an issue on yours if there hasn't been much salt. If the midpipe is rusty or even just around the sensor be careful taking it out. Mine was still solid but covered in surface rust and the threads had rusted and more or less made the pipe and sensor one piece. I did eventually get the sensor out, but at the cost of a hole! I patched it over with a bit of high heat epoxy, a bit of sheet metal and a couple hose clamps. Worked fine and mileage increased! :lol: Damn thing was dirty.

Yours has about 10K more miles on it than mine had and there are likely going to be a lot of little things on it that need to be replaced soon. Definitely check the fuel filter if your car's getting a little rough when it's warmed up. That's probably what it is if the roughness goes away for any length of time if you step hard on and then let off the accelerator pedal. If it seems sluggish with bursts of pep, that's definitely what it is.

It looks like yours is also one that has the battery in the trunk. Pay special attention to the area where it would be were it up front. That spot right up against the firewall can be prone to rust, and if it's rusted enough water will end up leaking into the passenger footwell. That was an issue with mine and was quite annoying.

Subscribed!:popcorn:

Edited by nVidia_Freak

Excellent stuff here!

I used to have a 325es that was also purchased from the original owner a couple years back. Despite being a Chicago car he had always parked it in a garage and it was largely rust free.

The only two things I would be careful with are the O2 sensor in the midpipe, though it might not be an issue on yours if there hasn't been much salt. If the midpipe is rusty or even just around the sensor be careful taking it out. Mine was still solid but covered in surface rust and the threads had rusted and more or less made the pipe and sensor one piece. I did eventually get the sensor out, but at the cost of a hole! I patched it over with a bit of high heat epoxy, a bit of sheet metal and a couple hose clamps. Worked fine and mileage increased! :lol: Damn thing was dirty.

Yours has about 10K more miles on it than mine had and there are likely going to be a lot of little things on it that need to be replaced soon. Definitely check the fuel filter if your car's getting a little rough when it's warmed up. That's probably what it is if the roughness goes away for any length of time if you step hard on and then let off the accelerator pedal. If it seems sluggish with bursts of pep, that's definitely what it is.

It looks like yours is also one that has the battery in the trunk. Pay special attention to the area where it would be were it up front. That spot right up against the firewall can be prone to rust, and if it's rusted enough water will end up leaking into the passenger footwell. That was an issue with mine and was quite annoying.

Subscribed!:popcorn:

Yeah the left taillight leaks, but's it's really common for E30's because the seals fail over time like usual. Also the O2 is getting replaced and right now we got the intake manifold off and my brother's probably gonna do a valve adjustment and the fuel filter replacement as well; also gonna replace all fuel hoses too.

Edited by MJCRO

Took off the intake manifold and valve cover to be cleaned and hit with a coat of silver high heat spray paint to bring back the nice cast aluminum look. Also git new exhaust headers and cat. to be installed from a 325i. The old one had to be removed because it was some aftermarket one that had rusted away from sitting.

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

Edited by MJCRO

Grats! Its always fun to have something to tinker with.

I know nothing about those engine, but can tell from just looking at the intake manifold that they must pick up a lot from an intake swap or porting - that is very low plenum volume for even a low rpm inline 6. I can't imagine it making power past 5k with that thing - the long runners must make some nice smooth TQ down low though!

Reminds me almost of an L98 SBC intake cut in half.

Deep dish wheels and a staggered setup would be badass.

;)

I actually am looking into getting ESM wheels for the car in the future. Going for that classic German touring look. Price is also really good.

Grats! Its always fun to have something to tinker with.

I know nothing about those engine, but can tell from just looking at the intake manifold that they must pick up a lot from an intake swap or porting - that is very low plenum volume for even a low rpm inline 6. I can't imagine it making power past 5k with that thing - the long runners must make some nice smooth TQ down low though!

Reminds me almost of an L98 SBC intake cut in half.

The motor is a M20B27, it's the "eta" series motor that are made to be very fuel efficient (supposed to get near 40 MPG). The motor red lines at 4800, lol. No worrys. I'm going to be driving on this motor for awhile until I can get enough money for swap. thumbsup3.gif