poor performance going through wired router

usaweapon777

Hey guys, I'm currently up at school and noticed my internet speeds were poor compared to my friends down the hall. I previously had a linksys wrt54g hooked to the ethernet port and then had my desktop wired directly into it. I plugged my desktop directly to the ethernet and my speeds drastically improved from around 50 to 85 Mbps. The router is running a basically default configured version of dd-wrt. What's causing my slowdown when using the router inbetween my ethernet port and desktop? Thanks for the help in advance.

you have a 10/100 router.... it is capped basically

you need a gigabit router to get the full speed.

none of the 10/100 routers I have get near the speed my 10/100/1000 router does...

they are usually 35MB/s where as the gigabit usually hits 85MB/s speeds

USA - since you're on a "student" budget, it might pay off to check the Outlet items at Newegg.  I purchased a couple mfg. refurbished wireless routers from them this year and both worked (and continue to work) perfectly.

Here's the two I personally bought;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156396&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127300&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

The D-Link DIR-655 is the one I actually kept for myself.  It seems to have taken a few hits recently from recent purchasers, but I guess I got lucky because the one I bought works perfectly and was in brand new conditon.