Newtown Massacre

MJCRO

Did they ever figure out what the guys problem was? There is always a reason to these types of things even if the reason doesn't make any sense. I can't seem to find much detail about the shooter other than the general information. Does anyone know if the police report has been made public record yet? 

My heart goes out to the families in this time I wish the best for all the souls involved in this.

Did they ever figure out what the guys problem was? There is always a reason to these types of things even if the reason doesn't make any sense. I can't seem to find much detail about the shooter other than the general information. Does anyone know if the police report has been made public record yet? 

Evidently the kid had mental issues that he was on medicine for.   For some reason his mom bought him an Assault Rifle anyway.  In the end though we won't ever know why he did it.   Looks like he was trying to commit suicide and decided he needed take others out with him.

If we are to play the blame game then I blame the government for not finding the funding to protect us from people with these mental issues like they used to.  Now these people are running free in society and breeding.

I also blame the Media for copy cat retards so we should ban the media.  Perhaps if the media didn't over sensationalize every bad event perhaps this kid never would have thought to go out in such a flashy fashion.

I also blame idiots trying to protect their right to bear arms by acting like a moron walking down busy city streets carrying ARs.   You are only proving why many want gun control laws  - you don't protect your right by walking around with an AR in public ...especially after a huge tradegy like this.  WTF people!  Ever hear of laying low until the dust settles?  I seriously think we Americans are too stupid for the freedoms we get.  Give Americans the right to bear arms and we abuse the hell out of it like spoiled children.

I try to keep this story from firing me up, but it really makes me question things.  Things I once defended I'm finding extremely difficult to keep defending.

If we are to play the blame game then I blame the government for not finding the funding to protect us from people with these mental issues like they used to.  Now these people are running free in society and breeding.

As a non American I don't know the background of this, could you tell me how the government used to protect the general populace?

We need to stop looking for what we can blame for this and focus on the who. The who is the person that took the gun and killed the people. Why are we, as a nation, so scared to admit to a person being responsible for their own actions.

As for the people demanding more gun laws I ask a real question, please describe to me any kind of law that would have prevented this from happening. I am serious tell me what we need to do in the form of a law to stop this. Remember that murder has a law and yet it does not seem to be able to stop killings. Please show me how ANY law we can pass would stop this from happening again.

• Like 1

We need to stop looking for what we can blame for this and focus on the who. The who is the person that took the gun and killed the people. Why are we, as a nation, so scared to admit to a person being responsible for their own actions.

As for the people demanding more gun laws I ask a real question, please describe to me any kind of law that would have prevented this from happening. I am serious tell me what we need to do in the form of a law to stop this. Remember that murder has a law and yet it does not seem to be able to stop killings. Please show me how ANY law we can pass would stop this from happening again.

+!

Please show me how ANY law we can pass would stop this from happening again.

While these are by no means 100% accurate and population differences should be taken into account.

Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_Australia

America

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_in_the_United_States

Also according to something I heard on the news while the Newtown Massacre was headline news, there has been 14 massacres in the states since Obama was elected.

The last Massacre in Australia was the Port Arthur Massacre and it brought about a whole wave of gun control laws. There has been no shootings that have been considered Massacres since 1996. Not to say there haven't been gun related murders or other killings.

However there hasn't really been a chance for someone to just purchase a weapon and unload it into a group of people on a whim. I also haven't met anyone that has cried or complained that they don't have some god given right to stock up on weaponry that they don't need.

I know this thread isn't meant to be a gun control thread. However it is evidently doing something in Australia.

As a non American I don't know the background of this, could you tell me how the government used to protect the general populace?

Well as someone who grew up after the decision was made I'm not sure I know enough about it to talk about it - I hear it was either in the '70s or early 80's.  I mostly brought it up because lobbyists would rather focus on stuff that has no relavance like video games or even to some degree gun control laws rather than trying to figure out what is enticing people to do these extremely violent acts.

Supposedly what happened in the '70s is they decided they were going to stop treating many people with mental issues in mental institutions but treat them instead with medicine.  So mental institutions had their funding cut and people with mental issues started to get treated by medicine.   Which I suppose is great if the medicine works and if the people stay on it.   Evidently this whole decision caused a big stir and people forecasted we would see fallout from this decision.   As with anything we always seem to make a radical decision rather than a balanced decision.   Seems to always be one extreme over the over.

I think this is good case of who and what.   Clearly our system is fuggered up when we seem to be stuck in cycle of these tradegies happening.  It's not just this year, nor is it uncommon for kids to act in this way, which is sad.   The uncommon thing is the scale of this event.

No one is bringing up gun control laws in this thread, and in fact the OP specifically asked for it not to be discussed so if you wish to discuss gun control laws perhaps you should necro an old thread or start a new one.   I simply brought up that people walking down crowded streets with an Assault Rifle (a tool specifically designed to kill humans) especially after an event such as this is flat out retarded and is going to get the attention of the people on the fence of gun control laws.  

But to take you up on your challenge if they outlawed guns completely (which I am not recommending) then his mother never would have been able to buy him the Assault Rifle he massacred the school with.  I may be a HUGE fan of Assault Rifles but I'm getting to the point to where I think the US population is too stupid to have the privledge to own ARs.

I'm not smart enough to know what laws need to be passed but our system does need to be changed.  Name other 1st World countries that also have this constant stream of school/base/work shootings.   We F'd up somewhere because this crap is unacceptable and its happening way too frequently.

+1

To go back to the topic. As much as i want to argue gun rights i wish to respect those killed, and the op. But i will say this "outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns".

The impact of this is already being felt way down here in rural sc, my friend went to pick her daughter up for a doctors appointment at lunch time from school, the doors were locked and she wasn't allowed in until two SWAT cops were in the entrance hall. And even then she had to stay in the school office and wait for her daughter, it used to be you could go and get your kid straight from class yourself, the secretary just let the teacher know you were coming. That and she had to show id and prove she was who she said she was.... Now other than needing swat cops at school i think these are positive changes. Not allowing anyone into the school unattended and making sure someone picking up a child has a legit reason to. that should have happened a long time ago. Its just a shame that we need a tragedy like this to kick us into gear and get serious about protecting our kids.

Fogel, you should probably get a better understanding of the US mental health system before criticizing it. Institutions for dangerous nutjobs still exist today. Yes, we've broken away from the asylum system, but that's for the betterment of 99.99999% of all mentally disabled individuals. People have to first show that they're dangerous before they can be committed. For all we know this person didn't show those signs.

For my unpopular opinion:

Yes it's sad that a bunch of children were killed by a madman. In the grand scheme of thing, more kids die around the world every day from things like malaria, dysentery, and other fun diseases. I'm quite certain more kids die in America every day from other causes. There's no point making a huge deal out of this incident in my opinion. If SpeedCrazy is right, God is responsible for this. Not a surprise given his streak of atrocities in the Bible.

I'm just going to don my asbestos suit now...

Edited by Kamikaze_Badger

Just for the record.  An AR15 is not an assault rifle.  The AR in AR15 does not stand for assault rifle.  It stands for Armalite which is the company that designed it.  An assault rifle can fire in either burst or full auto.  Please stop being brain washed by the media.