Do you use a surge protector/ups with you computer?

neddamttocs

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a surgeprotectot or UPS with you pc?

• Yes, I have a surge protector
    • Yes, I have a UPS
    • Yes, I have a whole home surge supressor
    • No, I unplug my pc/electronics when it storms
    • No, I leave my pc/electronics plugged into the wall
    • Other

Well this week on OCC Poll we would like to know if you use any type of surge protection or a UPS (un-interruptible power supply) with your PC?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have an APC Back-UPS Pro 1300, it's important for me to have the better protection for my system.

Edited by Pile

UPS on my gaming PC and server PC.  Surge protectors on all the other electronics.  Gotta love the spring storms in Arkansas.....................

Actually we've been really lucky.  We've only had stuff damaged by thunderstorms once.  Took the ECP from the furnace, one TV and one PC.  

I actually need to replace my surge protector before the LAN this Saturday. At the last LAN the power box blew out (popping, sparks, smoke, plastic/rubber melting, smells like a LAN haha). None of my lights on the surge protector light up anymore. It's got a lifetime warranty, but I got it as a Christmas gift and we can't seem to find the original invoice or purchase date haha.

I should probably get two UPS for my systems, but I'll wait for a sale. Not too critical for me atm. All my school work auto-saves to the cloud and NAS should be fine for power outages since its on ZFS.

Edited by AZNguyen

Whole house protection with a UPS on my computer another on the router, printer and Cable Modem. This way if I am in  the middle of work a quick power hiccup will not mess me up. The UPS on the other devices can run for about 20 minutes and the one on my computer at load about 5. Plenty of time to finish what i am doing and get off the system.

Basically my answer is yes..

I remember back in 2000 when my father bought my fist PC. Some days after a storm came and my 56k USB Robotics modem and my Sound Blaster burned... oh and 2 USB ports... from the motherboard.

A power conditioner or good UPS provides an important hardware protection that surge protectors do not. Poor quality source power, while not as quick and flashy as a power surge, puts alot of stress on your electronics that wears them down over time. I've seen it wear out PC power supplies repeatedly in just a couple months, that was in particular a few people that lived near a local hospital. The worst part is that it isn't typically obvious that the condition even exists until you're electronics just stop lasting as long as the should and you think you have really really bad luck.