motherboards without heatsinks?

I was going to pickup the Asus P8Z77-V LK tomorrow.  After looking at it closer, there is no mosfet heatspreader at the top of the board, is this an issue?

Link: http://www.microcenter.com/product/393422/P8Z77-V_LK_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

Now I see that some others are missing it too, like the UD3h while some 'cheaper' boards have it like the gd45 or the extreme 4 and 6.

Any info out there on this?

the mb you linked to has a heatsink on the mosfets to the left of the cpu, just none on the ones above it,  lots of lower end mb's don't have them and if you don't oc them it's usually not a problem, to get a full heatsink set you will have to pay more for the higher end mb.

On the ASUS boards what you have there is the third step in MOSFET's as it were (MOSFET> Driver MOSFET> Dual Intelligent Processors 3/Digital control

They do not run near as hot as traditional MOSFETS,  Thats why they can leave them 'unheatsinked' If you are a heavy/24/7 OC'er I would opt for the next model up the ladder with heatsinks and 6+2/8+2 power phasing however. 

I covered these VRM's on another ASUS review. This board had heatsinks, but they were mighty small while I gave it a healthy OC.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_f2a85v/

With this board, you can not do heavy OC. But for marginal or mid range OC it is a very good choice thanks to it's 6+2 power phase design.

Edited by d6bmg

yeah that's what I'm hearing.  Plus with the 3570K it sounds like I'll be likely to hit the thermal boundries of the cpu well before the mobo becomes a problem.

I just got it up and running...typing on it now.  :thumbsup:

I went ahead and put the stock heat sink on thinking I might put together some kinda mini heatsink review.  I currently have the stock unit plus two others and supposedly won a prilomotech in the Christmas contest (have't seen it yet though).  I was really tempted to pick up a CM evo when I got this setup for a kinda 'best of the cheapest' type setup.  Actually, that still sounds fun.  If that one shows up I'll get an Evo and try my best at a little article.  

As you have won a prilomotech from Christmas contest, after receiving, it would be perfect for your system. If you can't wait, then you always have the option of Hyper 212 EVO. ;)

As you have won a prilomotech from Christmas contest, after receiving, it would be perfect for your system. If you can't wait, then you always have the option of Hyper 212 EVO. ;)

+1 on that, I can run my setup at 4.6 ghz and the cores stay under 70c with the 212. :)