Need advice on best internal HDD for pic/video storage! *Help*

NerdGoneWild

Hello everyone! It has been a while!

I went to save some GoPro footage from this weeks track day, and it said I was out of space! Grrrr. So I am looking at reviews and through threads on here trying to figure out the best options for what I will be using it for. I currently have Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive as my secondary for my gaming mainly, and storage of photos, music, and videos. I want to get a new internal HDD (was thinking 2TB) to move my photos, music, and videos to and leave my games on the black. I was hoping to spend ~$100.

So far the one I have been thinking about
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (if they are same price, is retail better, or just get bare drive?)

OEM (bare drives) are fine. You get the same warranty, but no plastic clamshell, cables, or documentation. So make sure you have extra SATA cables or order one from eBay/Amazon with your new hard drive.

Saw this Toshiba 3 TB for $115 http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-22-149-396-_-07292013_1

Edited by AZNguyen

As much as I don't like seagate, only my opinion, I think I'd pick it over the Toshiba, their reliability is not the best. WD drives are my choice.  If it will be just for storage you could pick one of the green drives or one with a 5400 rpm which are cheaper still. :no:

Edited by SpikeSoprano

OEM (bare drives) are fine. You get the same warranty, but no plastic clamshell, cables, or documentation. So make sure you have extra SATA cables or order one from eBay/Amazon with your new hard drive.

Saw this Toshiba 3 TB for $115 http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-22-149-396-_-07292013_1

So if the bare and retail of the one I saw both were $99, then going with retail doesnt hurt. but bare is fine for my purpose!? Thanks, for the link also!

I haven't received a sata cable in retail box in a long time . bare drive you get static bag and bubble wrap . the retail is basically a box with paper in it . whatever is cheaper .

If you plan on editing those track videos together, the WD Black will give you better performance and reliability than a WD Green. Regardless of what drive you choose, buy two of them so that you always have a backup in case your drive dies.

If you plan on editing those track videos together, the WD Black will give you better performance and reliability than a WD Green. Regardless of what drive you choose, buy two of them so that you always have a backup in case your drive dies.

Thanks for that advice, we did purchase an external very heavy duty WD 720gb for backing up our important files/photos. I do some editing, but we mostly send the videos we like most to my fiance's macbook pro or iMac and edit on those. I found a WD black 2gb or 4gb and a seagate 2gb and 4gb with best reviews/ratings, and my fiance said she would pay for it if I make sure it is best for the money and worth it. So trying to research now which is better bang for buck, as the WD is 100$ more than the seagate for the same storage and specs.

in all honestly unless its a enterprise drive , a hard drive is a hard drive and they all will fail . I just buy green drives and back my stuff up more than once . even the best drives can fail for no apparent reason .

3TB drives can rather easily be fround around $100, I'd definitely get a Seagate or WD but let price be your guide.

I'd be wary of the Toshiba drive only because their laptop drives are awful...I've never had the pleasure of using a Hitachi but I have a really old one from a computer I broke down and it works perfectly. I have more Seagates than any other brand though, they offer much more for your money whenever I'm in the market for a storage drive.