Upgrade time?

xPETEZx

Going to grave dig this thread back out again.

STILL not done anything about my rig.

Mainly as I haven't played anything other than older games. (Which run fine)

That changed yesterday. I installed Crysis 3, and left the settings alone at what the game picked. (Medium)

In the first few indoor levels, things where fine normally hitting 60FPS. 

However once I got to the dome level with missile launcher, things got bad.

Every time a rocket blows up, the FPS drops to single figures and lags.

I have been thinking of doing a CPU / RAM / Mobo / GPU / Case upgrade, and considered the following:

CPU : AMD FX 8350 -

Edited by WarWeeny

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the asus sabertooth is a reliable motherboard and has plenty of options to go by, overclocking on this board is easy too.

generaly, a motherboard of a reliable company (asus, gigabite, msi ex) with a price of $120 or more are the better boards, the higher you go over that price the more functions it is going to get.

the sabertooth is a good board overal and you can't really go wrong with it.

This^ I have always used ASUS boards and I have never had a problem.

Forgotten just how awesome this community is :)

Thanks for the help Guys!

Wev, do you think the A10-5800K has the same life as the FX?

Ideally Id like to keep this system as long as my current. This one has served me 4-5 years with only an additional GPU and SSD to boost it along.

It depends on what new software will need in terms of power or if just want to upgrade. I personally upgrade my CPU and Mobo if I can find a really good deal or every other year.

Forgotten just how awesome this community is :)

Thanks for the help Guys!

Wev, do you think the A10-5800K has the same life as the FX?

Ideally Id like to keep this system as long as my current. This one has served me 4-5 years with only an additional GPU and SSD to boost it along.

personally i would go for the 8350, not only for its great perfomance, but also because the 8350 is an octo core

i expect future engines and game to be way more optimised for multiple cores so there isn advantage on that over the 5800.

I've given up on predicting "shelf" life for any given socket  :)

I didn't recommend the A10 based on a head to head performance comparison in all categories with the FX 8350.  I recommended it because of the cost savings and because the OP mentioned earlier that this upgrade is intended to help his gaming performance.

As far as the 6 core versus 8 core argument - well if you're talking about gaming then that argument is moot for the next few years any way.

There are plenty of reviews out there on both processors, and even one where they go head to head.  Read them all (and if your focus is on gaming) decide whether the FX 8350 is worth the extra dough.