How to install NVIDIA Drivers

96andrei

In this guide I will teach you how to download and install the drivers for your NVIDIA card.

This is my first guide.

Downloading the right drivers:

In this part of the guide I will show you how to download the correct drivers.

Use one of the following 2 methods. I suggest using the first one for non-advanced users.

1.Normal(WHQL) Drivers:
Step 1: Go to http://www.nvidia.com
Step 2: Move your cursor over the drivers menu and click GeForce Drivers.
Step 3: Download the drivers to your favorite directory.
    You can now use the automatic GPU detection or the manual search.
Auto: Click "Auto-Detect Your GPU" and activate/allow any plugin/java pop-ups. Your GPU will be detected and you can now click the Download Drivers button.
Manual: Select your GPU Series, Model, Operating System and language and click Start Search. Click agree and download on the next page.

2.Beta Drivers and archive:
Step 2: Move your cursor over the drivers menu anc click Beta & Legacy.
Step 3: Select your Series, Model, Operating System, Language and click search.
    You can now see almost every driver released for your GPU.
Step 4: Click on the name of the driver you need, usually it is the latest one.
Step 5: Click Download.
Step 6: Click Agree & Download.
    Save it to your favorite directory.

NOTE: NVIDIA has multiple ways(download pages - GeForce Drivers, All Drivers etc.) of getting the drivers. The process is similar.

Installing/updating the drivers:

In this part of the guide I will show you how to install or update the drivers.

Use one of the following 2 methods. I like the first one, but the second one may be easier for new users.

1.Normal/Classic Way:
Step 1: Run(double click) the file you downloaded.
Step 2: Choose and unpacking driectory and click ok.
NOTE: This is not where the driver will be installed. The file you downloaded is an archive, you're unpacking it at this step.
Step 3: Wait for your system to be scanned.
Step 4: You should now see the NVIDIA software license agreement. If not, you've donwloaded the wrong drivers.
1.jpg
        Click Agree and Continue.

Choose your installation option.
Step 5:  I suggest choosing the Express option for non advanced users.
2.jpg
Step 5*: Custom(Advanced)
3.jpg

This page lets you choose what parts of the NVIDIA software you install. The Express option usually installs all of them.
The Perform a clean installation checkbox(if checked) will reset any settings you made to the driver before updating.

NOTE: You may see a Windows Security window. Click install.
4.jpg

NOTE: Your driver will now be installed. Don't worry if your screen blinks or turns off. It is normal.
Step 6: You can see what was installed on your computer. Click close.
NOTE: If your installing/updating fails, manually uninstall any nvidia drivers from Control Pannel, restart the system and go back to Step 1 or to the directory you've unpacked the driver and run Setup.

2.GeForce Experience:
This software helps you update your driver and optimize your games.
Step 2: Move your cursor over the drivers menu and click GeForce Experience.
Step 3: Click Download Now.
Step 4: Run the file.
Step 5: Click Agree and Continue.
Step 6: Click Launch.

Step 7: Go to the Drivers tab.

Step 8: Click check for updates.

ge.jpg

Step 9: Use Express or Custom option they work as explained above(Step 5 and 5*).

Other Update Methods:

Easy/Quick Update:
tray.jpg
Step 1: Open your system tray.
Step 2: Right Click the NVIDIA logo.
Step 3: Click Check for updates.
A NVIDIA Update or GeForce Experience window will appear.
ge.jpg
You will see options similar to the Installing/updating the drivers part of this guide.

Restart your computer after any driver changes.

Edited by 96andrei
  • Like 1

Looks nice on a brief perusal. I personally uninstall all old drivers first for optimum results, but that is just my preference i don't know if it is justified unless switching brands(amd -> nvidia)

I usually do that only if I change the card, doesn't matter what card it is. 660 is not 660ti for example.

I like to use custom settings for some games and I if uninstall the driver everytime I update, I have to make these settings again.

Nice job 96andrei...thats a well layed out educational guide that should help any person visiting OCC deal with that installation. A whql driver is an Official/Genuine digitally signed driver from the actual manufacturer of your hardware. If it is not digitally signed you could risk installing a driver from a third party that has been unpacked, and repacked with 3rd party software/malware.

If you do not change Nvidia settings often you can also choose to not have the Nvidia control panel start with the Operating System, and run in your task bar as a startup item, which improves startup time. It is then accessable in the Control Panel. I also choose to have it check for updates, but ask if I want to install.

With guides like 96andrei's over time people will automatically think OCC first when they need assistance.

I like that there is no superfluous information. However, it might need to have an editor checking it, since there's a couple of typos and such. Otherwise good job! 

hey does anyone know how to install drivers for Linux , mainly Ubuntu . I never could do it becuse it required command line knowledge so I also used the ones pre installed. that would be an awesome addition to the guide I think .