Sapphire Toxic HD 5970 4GB Edition Tested

Nemo

Yeah, after I helped you fix an error. :lol::P

Even better review with all the new charts and games added in.. yet oddly, I never wanted a 5970 until now. :lol: Before the new price. :P

I hear ya there, i was almost Tempted to Sell my 5870 for one of these Untill a Certain Boss busted my Bubble!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until a Certain Boss busted my Bubble!
:withstupid:

wow :blink: I don't care how great the card is....over $1k?! Alright, so which spoiled brat is going to get one first? ;):lol:

EDIT: Dave, you may want to remove "Competitive pricing" from the Pros List.

Is it just me or are there a few oddities with the temperature chart? Both the 5870 and the GTX 480 manage to have a DECREASED temperature when overclocked (the 5870 by 21 degrees). It becomes even odder when you look at the power chart on the next page, where the GTX 480 pulled nearly as much as the 5970 2GB.

Some of the idle temps seemed to drop once you overclocked as well.

Thats because when I overclocked the cores I ran the fan speeds at 100% where possible as noted so yes you will see lower idle and load temperatures. I'm not a fan of cooking GPU's and getting a paltry little clock out of the hardware on air so cooling them down to get the highest clock speed is what I do. The power consumption is a measure of the entire system with the video card installed, both at stock clock speeds and overclocked speeds. The bottom graphs are labeled Overclocked Idle and Overclocked Load. The cards are power hungry.

Well it still kicks butt! Even at the real price. But you figure 699 for a stock card plus $100 bucks in games $100+ for the active adapter 80 bucks plus shipping for the cooler then you have the additional 2GB of memory and binned chips you are close on the price andd in title tax and delivery and I guess it adds up.

so thats $1100 USD. i shudder what it will retail at overhere given the reference 5970s retail for $900-$1100 and the 480 retails for $800-900

Edited by bilcliff

I forgot to say good job on the review. looks like you got an unlucky card / the boys over at tweaktown got lucky with their card reaching 1000mhz.

Edited by bilcliff