PowerColor 4870x2 in CF

Braegnok

7770 to 4870X2? I am not seeing the upgrade there.

Do the math!,.. Overall  bandwidth, Texel rate, pixel rate, render output units, shaders, and bus width 256 bit DDR5 x2 for 4870x2  to 128 bit DDR5 for 7770. The 4870x2 card heads up smokes the 7770 in every way performance wise. 

On paper, sure.  The 7000 series can actually come close to their compute numbers doing real work.  The 4000 series really can't.

I'd say try it and see though - it's not like you'll lose anything but a bit of time getting it set up.

Thanks, for all the information.  my question was if F@H control panel will show 2-GPU's or 4-GPU's... I was hoping to configure both 4870x2 cards as two GPU's,.. rather than four smaller GPU's,  I will need to set them up and see what configuration options are available.

Edited by Braegnok

actually once the cards are cleaned up,.. with new TP on gpu's and new thermal pads on the memory. they will be fine, I'm not worried about heat, noise or power consumption. Just if they will show up as quad-fire or cross-fire in F@H control panel.

Edited by Braegnok

I thought that the power usage was the worst part of folding, but I guess if you can foot the bill and deal with the heat... :teehee:

Optimum settings include living in the north pole with a solar power farm. :lol:

Optimum settings include living in the north pole with a solar power farm. :lol:

No because half the year there would be no sun so no folding :teehee:

A nuclear reactor would be much more reliable :tongue:

Nah, solar/geothermal hybrid!

Look at it like this. A 4870x2 is roughly on par with an HD 5870 and all of the old reviews confirmed this though power consumption was even lower with a 5870 and often performance favored the single 5870. An HD 5870 is faster in every case that I can see by as little as 5% to as much as around 25 - 30% but this comes at the cost of extra heat, power consumption and in comparison, piss poor CF scaling.

I agree the 5870 is vary impressive at extreme resolutions for a single-GPU graphics card, And @ 900/1300MHz.. it is faster than the 4870x2 card.

But all that said,.. does any one know if a pair of dual-GPU Cards CrossFired will show up as QuadFired in F@H Control Panel as 4 GPU's, and if so,.. can I reconfigure them as 2-GPU's.   :wallbash:

Edited by Braegnok

Looks like CF can not be used to make a dual GPU card or cards perform like one super GPU. The CF link does not have enough bandwidth to support that functionality.

You need to run one FAH GPU client for each GPU chip. :(

Also, for best Folding performance for the 4870X2 card , Setup F@H V6.41 with desktop extended, flag all 4 GPU's, and use 11.11 drivers.  The V7 works best with 5000 and up cards.