Crazy couple of weeks...

So, the last couple of weeks, things were a bit crazy. I was working sometimes from 4:00AM until 2:00AM, then until 10:30PM, etc. I started drinking coffee because it would keep me focused, but I'd get dehydrated and get headaches. I switched to taking herbal supplements and tea instead, but I still ended up with headaches, so to stop getting headaches, I took some Tylenol.

Well, that might be okay for most people, but I have a fatty liver, and I wasn't thinking about that, and I ended up crashing. When my wife came home, she couldn't wake me up very easily, I was apparently mumbling that my stomach hurt, so she took me to the hospital. I was diagnosed with acute liver failure, having overdosed on acetaminophen.

I had to stay in the hospital for a week, just got out this morning, and now am at work. My wife wouldn't let me have my phone or laptop, just my iPod Touch, but my brother did end up bringing my laptop over so I could play games with him, see what was happening on Facebook, and watched "Iron Man 3" illegally (hey, I was bored and really wanted to see it - anyways, the movie was stupid, if it was good, I would have paid to see it in 3D. I'm usually against that sort of thing, except I wasn't going anywhere, and it was there.).

Anyways, two weeks ago, I was also searching and interviewing for a new job (strict 40 hour work weeks, and nice benefits), and I got word that they're going to send me a job offer, so I can't wait. At my current job, at the moment, I'm trying to get paid for the work I couldn't do last week, since the cause of my hospitalization was from being overworked, but they don't seem to agree with me on that. God, I can't wait to stop working here.

I'm only working 40 hours this week and the next, and giving my two weeks notice. Screw these guys. Now they're scrambling for me to train everyone, and I'm like, if I could train people to do my job, I wouldn't have had to work 80+ hour work weeks... dumbasses.

I got a lot of catching up to do, but that's my last couple of weeks.

Damn man, that's a lot to have gone through in the past couple weeks. Glad you're doing better and going to have a new job. One that doesn't try to kill you.

Glad you didn't end up with permanent damage on the liver! That can severely decrease quality of life. And get out of that job! A job that's killing you ain't worth having. Hopefully you're getting the new one you're talking about. What's your current job description?

Damn that's crazy!  Glad to hear you are feeling better.  

So did the liver failure part resolve itself once the Tylenol got out of your system?  

Thx fellas. I used to be a technical consultant, doing anything from QA, development, DBA, IT, etc. Now I just do QA as a Lead, Principal, etc. I do some management (you always have to do some management as a Lead), but I prefer to do the dirty work and build upon the QA infrastructure rather than manage other people to do that stuff.

If you have a healthy liver, the liver regenerates itself over time. I just have to go back and get a checkup next week... and start eating healthy (ugh).

and start eating healthy (ugh).

Unfortunately, that might be the worst part of it all. :( Glad you're okay though, dude. Hope you get well soon! :cheers:

Great that your better,but it's hard to eat properly when you have to work 16 hours a day, no time to make decent meals, just take out crap, hope you land that new job.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

glad you're okay man.... word to the wise... Tea is just as dehydrating as coffee... take it from a diabetic who knows all to well the bad effects of dehydration on a daily basis sometimes...not good